6264 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ARV_Grants
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, I’m a bit confused and was wondering whether someone can help me. Essentially I want to be able to link to files stored on Google Doc in the Attachments field on Airtable, rather than upload them. Now, when I add a file to the Attachment field, go and change the file in Google docs, it’s not ‘updated’ in Airtable. So, I assume this is because it’s uploading a copy of the file to Airtable, not linking to the Google Docs file.

Is there any way to link to the actual file on Google Drive? I saw there is a Zapier that claims to do this…but it doesn’t seem to actually do that…instead it monitors the Google Drive and creates field entries when new files are created. I just want a simple link to a file hosted on Google Drive.

Is there a simple way to do this that I’m missing?

Thanks for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Personlly I always use the URL link type of field in Airtable. In Google Docs I find the “Get Shareable Link”. RIght click a file in Google Drive, and it will show up in the dropdown menu.
There you can copy the link and paste it in Airtable in the URL field you created. In Google Drive it says: anyone with the link can view the file.

Regards,
André

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3

Personlly I always use the URL link type of field in Airtable. In Google Docs I find the “Get Shareable Link”. RIght click a file in Google Drive, and it will show up in the dropdown menu.
There you can copy the link and paste it in Airtable in the URL field you created. In Google Drive it says: anyone with the link can view the file.

Regards,
André

Hi Andre,

Thanks for this. That seems like a good workaround :slightly_smiling_face: Appreciate you replying.

Liz_Zimmerman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is exactly what I’m trying to do now! However, when I use the URL importer, it uploads a file that seems to not have a file format associated with it at all. It doesn’t link to anything (let alone the google doc) and the preview is a generic doc icon.

I’ve tried using a few different URLs (the sharing URL and the viewing URL) and I’ve checked the settings and confirmed that it is accessible to all with the link…

Any idea??