Lookup based on unlinked field

It would be good if a function similar to DLOOKUP in VBA could be available. I’d like to pull data from another table, but can’t if it’s not linked. As an example - I have a series of events at which people can hire things. They pay for a number of hire periods. In the table that lists the hires I can select an event, but then I can’t look up the event at which they should return it, even though I can calculate the reference of that event.

The ability to run a lookup or rollup on the basis of a formula column is an essential feature for me. Eg. where a record should have a default value for a field, except if overridden by the user, I use a formula to say IF (Special= “”, Default,Special) - I cannot then lookup/rollup etc on the basis of that formula’s result…

An alternative, would be better support for default values for more field types…

I second this. Default values (with formula support) all the way.

Or an ‘Input allowed’ tick box (on a new ‘Behaviour’ tab?) in the dialog or something. This could work with formulas, but also with a rollup for example (e.g. show a default price, but make it optionally updatable).

Lookup or fill out