2190 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brite_Admin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I have a task table that includes a single select field for the collaborator responsible for the task, I am looking for a way to auto-populate other data about that collaborator (their phone number as a simple example). I thought I could have a table of info about each collaborator but the Collaborator field doesn’t seem available as one of the fields I can use to use LOOKUP.

Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

You need a [Collaborators] table with fields for each bit of info you want (phone number, email, name, collaborator, etc.). Then in your [Tasks] table, use a linked record field to the [Collaborators] table. Then you can add lookups.

Kuovinne, I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help us newbies.

I assumed that what was needed but I can’t figure out how to do it. I need the Cooaborator field in the task table to be a Collaborator field so they get notified when they are added to a task but then I can’t figure out how to link it to a collaborator table since it can’t be a "link to another table " field.

I thought I could create a collaborator table but the first field doesn’t allow collaborator as a field type.

I’m sure I am missing something simple but it isn’t clear to me what.

If I have a simple task table with just task name and Collaborator and another table with just Collaborator and Phone number, how do I link them so I can look up the phone number to add it to the task table?

Ah, needing the notifications that you get from a collaborator field makes things trickier.

On option is to have the collaborator field (for the notifications) and a linked record fields for the lookups. Then you need an automation that keeps the two in sync. I recommend doing your data entry with the linked record field. Then have the automation watch a lookup of the collaborator field in the collaborators table. When the lookup changes, have the automation copy the lookup value to the collaborator field.

Another option is to rethink how you manage notifications. Instead of having the native Airtable notification when a user is added to a collaborator field, use an email automation. When you change the linked record field for the collaborator, have the automation fire off an email. It may take a bit of tweaking if a task can have multiple users, but Italy be worth looking into. With this method you can customize the email notification to include more meaningful information.

Brite_Admin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Thanks for the great ideas. I will test them out to see which one is easier to implement. I’m leaning toward the first but not sure yet. I appreciate your help.