9414 14
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’m looking for a way to send personalized emails to contacts in my base, inserting variables from linked records for things like balance due, payments made, programs signed up for, etc. Has anyone had any success with doing this sort of thing? I know I can do it with a Google sheet, so one idea is to export Airtable info to sheets. WebMerge looks like it does this in a more robust fashion and and I see Zapier can connect it with Airtable.

Would love to hear from anyone who’s had success with this sort of thing.

thank you

14 Replies 14
Dean_Toland
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Zapier has a ton of integrations for Airtable, including ones that will copy records over to MailChimp for a subscriber list and email campaigns, or into Google Sheets so you don’t have to do a manual export constantly. Zapier handles all that for you and is definitely highly used throughout the Airtable user community. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Ario!

I’m working on a tool that might interest you. I’ll send you a message later this week. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best, Arthur.

sounds great! looking forward to it…

Gareth_Chapman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi there - did you ever come up with a tool mail merge? I’d be interested!

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Check out the thread ‘Ability to design page for printing’ in the Feature Request forum.

I’ve got a free solution working with Zapier and Google Cloud Print that might be useful for you, alongside a tutorial.

Thanks Matt - I’ll give it a whirl! Appreciate your efforts!

Arlo_Haskell
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Answer to my own question here. There is a Google Sheets Add-On “Mail Merge with Attachments” that is pretty solid for this. You export your table as csv, then upload to Sheets, then use a Gmail draft that incorporates {{variable text here}} to pull personalized info for each record from your table. It took some time to figure out and takes several steps every time (I pull close to a dozen variables for each message), but once you’ve done it a few times it goes very quickly. I can post a how-to here if anyone’s interested.

Mail Merge with Attachments - Google Sheets add-on

Send personalized mass emails with Gmail, schedule emails, insert different attachments for each recipient and track email opens.

Here’s a super simple mail merge add-on we built that doesn’t require exporting to Google Sheets: Mail Merge Add-on: Airtable and Gmail. Check it out!

Just as a note: this service is neither officially endorsed nor vetted by Airtable. Airtable cannot vouch for the security credentials of this third-party service, and if you choose to make use of this service, you do so at your own risk. Please be careful when potentially exposing your Airtable data to third-party services, especially if you are using Airtable to store sensitive information.

So is there any service that is endorsed by Airtable to do this? Are there plans for AT to do this from AT directly?

Hey all, we just released a new block that integrates your base with the SendGrid API. You can use it to send emails to a list of contacts, and pull in variables from the values in each record’s fields. You can read more about how to use it in our support article.

SendGrid email setup 2.gif

Important: please do not use this block to send spam or other unwanted emails! If you are sending messages for commercial purposes, please ensure that you are abiding by all relevant local regulations related to email communications (such as the CAN-SPAM act).

This is freaking awesome @Katherine_Duh. This is such a good example and useful block. I’m trying to convince my boss to upgrade!

Question: Are devs allowed to build blocks, is there a plan for this?

Cheers! keep up the great work.

Thank you for the heads-up @Katherine_Duh! This looks promising, and it’s great to have this functionality available in a block. We use the Gmail app for mail at our small nonprofit, and SendGrid seems quite a bit more complex. I’ll have to spend some time getting to know it to see if it makes more sense for us than the third-party Google Sheet add-on that we’re using now.

Update: SendGrid is not as complex as I first thought! We’re up and running with this SendGrid block, which has amazing potential to streamline our workflow for transactional emails. BUT, inability to apply simple bold and italic formatting to emails from the block is a big drawback. Hopefully, that will be added later?