3969 7
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kern_Elliott
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have 2 tables in a base one is news and the other is region and they are linked by a column called country. Is there a way when a new record is inserted into news that the record is updated based on a value in the row?
For example if a new record has Express Newspaper in a column called source I want the country column within that row to automatically update based on corresponding information found in the region table.

Can this be done?

7 Replies 7

Hi

In general, yes, you can use a lookup field to populate any information from the other ‘side’ of a linked record. Your news record would, of course, have to be linked to the region record to do this.

What it sounds like, though, is that you may need a Sources table which would sit in between Regions and News - so that when you select a source it would effectively be selecting country as well.

If this is the case then to get information from Region to News you would first have lookup fields on the Sources table - and then lookup these in turn from News.

I hope this makes sense?

I understand that you mean however the news comes with the source already so what I really need is just to update the country from the region table. So my region table would need to have the corresponding source as well correct?

No - if you don’t need a Sources table then the News table must be linked to the Regions table - in this way you can pick up information from the region table - for example:

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 16.00.53.png

Here we’re holding the Flag and Language against a country - and …

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 16.00.04.png

Here the two fields are being picked up in the news table based on the lined field Region.

Region is a link to another table
Flag and Language are Lookup fields based on that link

Ok I understand but would it automatically populate when a new record is added to the column? Or would I have to manually enter that information?

In this example, you would need to manually enter the region and then the flag and language would be populated.

Kern_Elliott

Hey I got this to work but not by using a lookup but a formula with many IF statements

Sepehr_Sisakht

Care to share a bit on how you solved this? i’m dealing with similar situation need a row from Table A to be updated with some values of Table B when those fields are updated or some values are added to them. Imagine customer signature, etc … I’d like to have the customer signature in Table A for the associated order. Thanks so much