cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Francoise_Henr1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all !

I’m in the final of configuring a performance (musician’s) BD. Very excited about all the news possibilities :slightly_smiling_face:

This is my problem:
I am assigning concerts to groups made of 2 or 3 musicians. I have a table for the VENUES, a table for GROUPS and a table for the MUSICIANS. I also have a table I call CONCERTS that bridges GROUPS with VENUES along with other details. The tables GROUPS and MUSICIANS are linked.

I now want to prepare a report where I could calculate the wages of the individual MUSICIANS.
Do I have to create a new table for this or is there a simpler way ?

Thanks !
F.

17 Replies 17

I suspect the answer is “it depends.” What variables go into calculating the wages? For instance, are all musicians paid the same base rate, or are some more highly paid than others? Are they paid per hour or per concert? Are some venues or groups considered more prestigious – and thus better-paid – than others? Are they paid only for performances or for rehearsal time as well? Each of these variations would impose different requirements on data architecture – and, most likely, each could be adequately supported by any of several different designs. If you can provide a little more detail, it would be possible to offer suggestions…

Francoise_Henr1

Thanks for your reply @W_Vann_Hall !
Yes, the musicians do have different wages depending on the length of their concert and whether they are singers or musicians. Other than that, they are paid per concert on a fixed rate and in this case, they are not paid for rehearsal time.
Thanks for helping me out, very appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

I think you need the extra table (maybe called WAGES? :blush: ), linked with Concerts and Musicians. I am not sure how to deal with Groups :thinking:

Francoise_Henr1

Thanks @Elias_Gomez_Sainz, this is exactly my concern as well :grinning_face_with_sweat:

The Groups are always the same? Or every Concert is performed by a “new created” Group?

Yes, groups are the same for a given year…

I would do something like this. I think that you can’t automate the process to add the wages for every concert with the current Airtable features.

The scheme:

RlPz6mb.png

The base:

Wow, thanks @Elias_Gomez_Sainz, I will give it a go. Thank for your help :slightly_smiling_face:
Do you think it would be possible to filter the wages by month ?

Yes! You could Lookup the date from the Concert, or add a Date field for every record in Wages. then you could get the month with a Formula field, and then Group by that field.

I’ve updated the base to add the Date field, and the a Month and Year to do the grouping. I have added another View in Wages for the dates.