New Data Type: Location

I vote for this feature as well - adding a location data type is VITAL :-/ It’s great that the Map Block is available now, but I just need a simple link that opens Google maps or similar so I can get directions.

2 Likes

Also looking for a more simple location feature. The maps feature is great, but a little complex for the regular users in my crew who are contributing.

1 Like

As a temporary solution, I put the address in a separate field and I have another field with the following formula:

IF(Address = BLANK(), BLANK(), CONCATENATE(“www.google.com/maps/place/”, SUBSTITUTE(Address, " ", “+”)))

2 Likes

I’m creating a CRM base and a “Location” filed would be nice. Like Phone and Email it would be nice if this field type had behavior on par with other systems, in that clicking on the address would engage map functionality on phone, etc.

1 Like

This seems like it would really help us! Would you be able to explain your formula a little more? Also, what format do you input into the ‘address’ field?

Yes! a “location type” with address, city/state/zip would be a great help with our mailing list.

Elly, Alexey’s formula works as follows (I am going to use restaurant names for my example):

1. First create an column for the restaurant names (we will call it “Restaurant”)
  2. Create a 2nd column (I will refer to this as the “google maps link”) and add Alexey’s formula (which I changed to the following):
    IF(Restaurant=BLANK(),BLANK(),CONCATENATE("https://www.google.com/maps/search/",SUBSTITUTE(Restaurant," “,”+")))

Here is the breakdown:

1. IF the “Restaurant” name is blank, then return blank for the “google maps link”
  2. IF the “Restaurant” name is NOT blank, then return the following string of text together: https://www.google.com/maps/search/restaurant+name
    *For a google maps link to work there needs to be “+” in between each space of the name of the place you are searching, hence the substitute() formula.

Hope this helps

4 Likes

+1
a simple (lat-long) data type with a map_view on Open Street Map would be super useful.

1 Like

Currently, geocoded addresses are saved as a base64 encoded string. However, there is no support for decoding base64 to a normal string, making it difficult to access the returned latitudes/longitudes. It would be great to have a way to save lat/lng values as strings! That way, these values can be easily used for external applications.

1 Like

Would love a location field - address, city, state, zip, etc, with some international support options for different international needs (like province). Doesn’t seem to be a clean or effective solution to separate them all out into individual columns (city, state, etc).

Voting for this, thanks!

Please please please include this. I love using airtable for collecting information about real estate. Here are a few use cases.

1. Apartment Hunting: I collected about 50 different apartments into a base to share information with my roommate. It would have been really helpful to be able input the address into a field so I could click on the address to go to it on maps or see all of my data entries pooled together on one Google Map

2. Creating lists of locations: Would be awesome to create lists of, for example, trending restaurants, which could be seen on a google map.

3. Looking at investment property: Same as the other reasons. I’d like to be able to see properties I’m looking at buying on a map view.

I’m creating IMDb for Tacos: The Internet Taco Database. I need location to add the restaurant where the taco is located. I’m currently using the link from the venue in Foursquare / Gmaps, but would love to add it directly from Airtable.

Cheerio,

Is there any way to add a new location by google address autocomplete / Google Places? We want to build a form for business registrations in our online directory, and would need something like this for Airtable to be an option.

1 Like

Did you found a way to do that?

1 Like

I’ve built some intersting map formulas to share for ride booking using fields [Pickup,Destination]

I’m trying to build a url for street view but it’s not working because it wants Lat/Lon instead of street addresses. Is there anyway to convert a street address to lat/lon in airtable?

Directions from current location to Pickup
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Current+Location/” & SUBSTITUTE(Pickup," “,”+")

Directions from Pickup to Destination
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/?api=1&origin=” & SUBSTITUTE(Pickup," “,”+") & “&layer=t&destination=” & SUBSTITUTE(Destination," “,”+")

1 Like

This could be the answer for many people here that want to build databases and add autopopulated geolocation fields.

Build form in JotForm with Geo Widget, send via Zap or Integromat to Airtable.

wow…3.5 years and still nothing about this.
map block is nice, but still. in order to make proper location data, you need at least 3 columns…i am sure you can do better.

4 Likes

Agreed. Blocks are and always will be secondary to the primary Airtable UI. We need a true location field, not a maps block.

1 Like

I am trying to make the switch from Monday .com to Airtable and I am really needing this location feature. I run an embroidery shop as well as make custom apparel from scratch all in Southern California. I would need this feature so that when I myself go out to pick up all of my product from different vendors and contractors, or send a driver out, it is clear where to go. Shouldn’t be hard to add a simple click feature that opens up in a map. It exists on Monday .com and I’m hesitant to switch over to Airtable without the feature.