New: sync activity log

We’ve launched a new feature to all customers that help you understand how data is being synced between bases :zap:. You can use the sync activity log to see which bases can currently sync from another specific base, as well as the owners of the synced destinations.

Learn more about using the sync activity log in this support article.

6 Likes

Thanks for this great new feature.

I noticed that

Synced tables created before December 2020 may not be listed.

Synced tables was released in September 2020. Are there plans to eventually add information on views that were synced in that three month window?

If a synced table was created before December 2020, but was synced after December 2020, will it appear?

1 Like

Handy!

Would be great if those kind of relations would be visualized like the “base schema” app somehow.

1 Like

Hi @kuovonne,

I checked with our engineering team and it turns out we’ve already backfilled the sync information that was previously unavailable. You should see the same information for any bases now regardless of when the sync was initiated.

We’ll be removing that in-app note in an upcoming release as well.

1 Like

This seems to only be helpful from the point of view of the source table.

One of the biggest problems with the sync feature is that when you’re working in the destination table, it doesn’t tell you which SOURCE BASE it’s pulling the information from.

The destination table tells you the SOURCE VIEW but it doesn’t tell you the SOURCE BASE.

For example, seeing “Grid View” in the destination table isn’t helpful, if you don’t know which base it’s pulling the grid view from.

1 Like

Once you get the sync set up, rename the synced table to something you’ll recognize.

Hey @ScottWorld, I’m checking with our team about this and I’ll let you know what I learn.

1 Like

If you have access to the original source base, you can use a button field to open the source record. This will also open the source base.

If you don’t have access to the original source base, when you click the button, you can request access to the original source base. If no-one wants to give you access to the original base, then maybe you don’t really need to know what the original base is.

1 Like

This is a fantastic tip! :slight_smile:

Yes, this is usually the best way to do it. But in my case, I was referring to some clients who called me up AFTER someone had setup the sync for them, and they didn’t know which base the data was pulling from. They asked me, “Which base is this pulling from?” And we had to go through their dozens of bases to find it. @Jason

@ScottWorld This doesn’t address your question about showing the actual name of the base, but you can click the view name (from the sync settings) to open the synced base in a new tab. This should make it easy to navigate over to the synced base (given that you have collaborator access to it).

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this, @Jason! This is a fantastic trick to know about! :smiley: :raised_hands:

This will be extremely helpful for my clients who were confused after-the-fact about a sync that was setup by another person on their team. This will solve the problem for them.

This is a wonderful hidden trick, and it would be awesome if this was made even more discoverable, because I would never think to click on the View Name itself as opposed to the “Change…” button next to the View Name.

1 Like

This one is going in my notes as well!

Edit: it also seems like the only option to open multiple screens of the desktop app?