764 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yvette_ALFARO
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I was wondering if someone can assist with the following.

I’m trying to create an “If” formula for my “Previous Job #” column

Depending on the “Type” I will be either a “capital” or “service”

If service then the value is “Not applicable” and if Capital then I have an ID number to enter

I understand the first portion, but I don’t get how to get it to let me enter my own values if it’s not a “service”

IF(Type = “Service”, “Not Applicable”)

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, Yvette! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Unfortunately the setup you describe isn’t possible. A field can be filled dynamically (i.e. via a formula) or manually, but not both. Here are a couple alternative approaches to consider:

1. Make the {Previous Job #} field a single line text type, with the default text set to “Not applicable”. All new records will be filled with that default, which you can replace with the job ID if needed.

2. Just leave that field blank if you don’t need to enter a number, which means the field type can be whatever is most fitting for the data (text, number, etc). IMO a blank field effectively conveys the same message as “Not applicable,” but it’s implicit rather than explicit. It’s kinda like just leaving a page blank vs writing “This page intentionally left blank” somewhere on it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yvette_ALFARO
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you so much for your help! :slightly_smiling_face:

I was curious, bummer it doesn’t work, but still, now I know.