cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neil_Thorman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is driving me slightyl potty.
I have a table which records staff absence meeting outcomes. It links to the individuals main staff record though a link to another record column.
The staff absence records have a check box - which when ticked should trigger an email automaiton.
I’ve set the ‘when a record is updtaed’ trigger no issues. I’ve linked gmail account.

Settign the email to send though is causing me pain.
The ‘To’ feild - blue ‘+’ click on ‘record form step 1’ - continue. All the record fields appear (is field the correct word - the columns in the table I mean) so when I then click on the linked record I expect a black feild values arrow to appear so I can selct the feild that contains the email address in the linked record. But what actually appears is another continue whcih leads to a drop down with ‘list of properites <>length’ and make a new list of <>ID <>Name.

Tried using an extra lookup field in the staff absecne table - automations wont play with it at all, tried creating another feild with a formula that referneces the lookup and creates a string - but I dont seem to be able to set the content (as opposed to the lenght of the string) as the desired info.
Am I doing something simple wrong?

2 Replies 2

Hi @Neil_Thorman - you need to do a bit of table wrangling to get this to work:

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 20.20.25

If the Person is a linked field, then lookup the Email field into the table (from its linked table). You can’t insert a lookup field into an Automation, so create a new field “Email as string” with the formula:

ARRAYJOIN(Email)

You will be able to insert the string field into the Automation:

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 20.20.18

Neil_Thorman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks Jonathan, that worked for me. Its at variance to airtables support pages though which suggest the feilds within a linked record should be accessable by a drop down arrow somewhere.