2013 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike_m1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Ok real simple. I want to sum a column as I create it. The summary bar can do this. How do i move it to another column? If i make another column and use the sum formula it returns the entry for each row, not the total of the two rows, aka not the sum

5 Replies 5

Hi Mike,

There are basically two options:

1. Add rows using the summary bar (which can do subtotals if the view is grouped), or

2. Link your records to a row in another table and use rollup fields to sum it for you.

mike_m1
  1. so i have it grouped, but this is not helpful when i need to download it and send it to someone (excel doesnt copy summary bar) and this is not helpful when i want to do further calculations on it (subtract that sum from a total in another column)

if i sum one column in another column it does not return the sum of that column (which I could then do a further calculation on), only the current row. What is that?? That should be possible, without thinking about cells. A, then b, then it is a+b =

1. lets say i have multiple months, and multiple contractors, how would i rollup everyones invoices by month and contractor? Am experimenting with it but no success yet

What do you mean when you say add rows using the summary bar? There’s no options on the summary bar.

I can see the sum I want to use in a formula, but don’t know how to re-create it.

E.g. Excel or Google Sheets I would just SUM(A1:A7) and I’ll get my total in a cell. Then I can reference it in another formula somewhere else.

How do I do that?

Cross-record calculations are difficult in Airtable and, as @Julian_Kirkness says, are based on the concept of rolling up linked values. You can find a guide to doing so here.

joeb
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for the response. Your guide seems really detailed, but is rather confusing me more.

I’m trying to achieve something pretty simple. I’m realising my approach to Airtable likely needs to adapt, and I’ve started re-creating my table to have multiple tables for varying data.

Specifically what I am trying to achieve is a simple breakdown of investments.

So now I’m setting it up to split tables across: Stocks, Platform, Investments, etc

• Value of investment
  • Calculate total sum value of investments
  • From that total sum, then calculate the percentage of each amount invested as of the total of all investments. E.g. 23% of total invested is in this stock.
  • Be able to group the percentage of each amount invested by type (e.g. bonds, single stocks, ETF) E.g. 43% of total invested is in this type of stocks.