cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AFGF
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi all,

I need to build a form to collect a person’s name and email address but when they sign up a small application fee is also collected. I am thinking of using Stripe or Braintree for payment processing.

The key question here is where will the backend database be hosted? On Stripe/Braintree or on Airtable or on both? Another angle w.r.t the same question: how to go about making a form that accepts a payment?

Have you done this before? If so, how did you do it?

Thank you so very much,
Freedom.

7 Replies 7

Hi @AFGF - not exactly sure from your description what your set-up is, but a suggestion:

• Use a Jotform payment form to capture customer details and the payment (integrates with Stripe, PayPal, Braintree, others)
  • Send the collected form data to Airtable using the built-in Jotform integration

JB

Hi JB :slightly_smiling_face:
Good morning.

Sorry about my unclear description. I am going to look at Jotform now and report back shortly on how/if it worked.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, JB.

Cheers!

Hi again JB:

If supposedly I did not use Jotform, and, instead used this Zapier integration: https://zapier.com/apps/airtable/integrations/stripe

Is there any technical difference between the output from Zapier and the output from Jotform? Or, would they change the capabilities of my database in any way?

Thank you,
Freedom.

Hi @AFGF- so it looks like you can do Stripe -> Airtable in Zapier, i.e. when a new charge is created in Stripe you can push the data into your Airtable base. However, it doesn’t look like you can do Airtable -> Stripe, e.g. create a charge in Stripe from a new Airtable record (or submission of an Airtable form). So, you’re going to need some sort of form to capture the customer and card details - all of the well known form providers offer this - Jotform, Wufoo, Cognito - have this form integrate with Stripe, then use Zapier to send Stripe data to Airtable. Make sense? Stripe also offers hosted checkout pages so this could also be an option, i.e. lose the 3rd party form and just have Stripe. That said the 3rd party form solutions have done a lot of work to make presenting a payment form easier. I know from experience that the Stripe checkout pages aren’t as easy to set up as, say, a Jotform payment form.

But to answer your question, there’s no difference in the data that comes from Stripe via Zapier or Stripe via Jotform - just a question of building the base to match what each service can send. And if Stripe is the payment gateway in either case, this is going to be the same, I imagine.

JB

Your explanation is rad. I totally get it. It all makes sense. Will definitely share the final product in “Show and Tell” section!!! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

2023 update on this:

Fillout can do all of this natively, without needing to use Make or Zapier as a middleman! 🙂

As of 2023, Fillout is now the most advanced form software for Airtable. and it is 100% free to use! Fillout offers integrated payments for Airtable directly on the form by using Stripe, and it offers tons of other advanced functionality that people have been dreaming of in their Airtable forms. 

Of course, this can still be done with JotForm, but it's not as powerful as Fillout because it doesn't communicate natively with Airtable. If you use JotForm (which is still a fine tool), I would highly recommend using Make's JotForm integrations instead of Zapier for your connection from JotForm to Airtable. Some reasons here: https://air.tableforums.com/t/make-vs-zapier/737 

paulo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We have built a third-party form that integrates with Airtable. Our form is capable of integrating with Stripe to process payments. Just bringing this up as another option for you.