Please Add Hyperlink Formula

Google sheets goes farther than this. Even numerical fields can be hyperlinks. I have sheets where almost every field is a hyperlink. Some fields are short text, some long text, some numbers (with math like sums performed on them), some categorical (which is just text in G-Sheets).

Every field should be able to be an http hyperlink to an external web page.

Fields in Airtable operate very, very differently than cells in Sheets do. Adding hyperlink support beyond Formula fields and Short/Long Text fields would be nice, but I don’t think literally every field should have a hyperlink function; that would literally break the functionality of Link to Another Record, Lookups, Checkboxes, etc.

I have a lot of spreadsheets that I’d love to import into Airtable, but they contain hyperlinks.

When I convert these spreadsheets to .csv (so that I can import them into Airtable), the hyperlinks get flattened - the text is retained but I lose all the URL data.

It would be great if Airtable could handle this in some way so that the hyperlink data is retained, even if it split it out nto two cells (note: I could possibly copy and paste this data straight into Google Sheets, and go from there, retaining the hyperlinks … just need Airtable to be able to handle them!)

@Neil_Webb Airtable would need to add support for Excel files for that to work. When Excel exports a file as .CSV, it loses all formatting info including the original link for any program trying to open it. CSV files are a “what you see is what you get” file type, so to speak, in that regard.

I am in favor of adding support for importing from Excel files (.xls) directly, which may solve maintaining hyperlink data.

1 Like