2765 13
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alicia_Cheung
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, I need help building a tool that does several things. I have an interior design business and I want to be able to input projected hours for each employee, by project. I want to be able to then see their bandwidth several months out.

Secondly, I want to input these hourly projections by project, and create gaant charts by project, so I can track progress of each project, but hopefully all together in one place.

Ideally, there is a place I can input project information, including which employees are on what project and about how many hours we think will be needed by project phase. Then I would love to be able to see this information in different views- calendar, by employee, and by project.

The goal being that I can better plan for staffing needs, see when we will be busier and less busy, so that we can take on more or less work as we see fit.

13 Replies 13
Steve_Stark1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Alicia,

Airtable can certainly be used to build the type of system you’re describing. I’ve spent the past several years consulting on project management systems and specifically working with clients on setting up resource management processes and systems. I’ve been using Airtable for the past 3 years and it’s one of my absolute favorite tools for all kinds of activities.

You can contact me at
stevestark@thestarfiregroup.com

Have a great weekend!
Steve

While you can certainly create a scheduling and resourcing tool with Airtable (I’ve built a couple), I’d suggest that there are other “off-the-shelf” products out there that will address your needs here quicker and more robustly than spending the time to create something on your own. If your goal is do this in Airtable because you are already using Airtable for other, related data and want to be able to access that data as well, there are ways (Zapier, for one) to integrate your data across tools.

I’m more than happy to talk about more it you’d like.

Andrew_Johnson1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi Alicia,
Having worked on some complex Airtable bases in the past, I can say with confidence that Airtable would be a perfect fit to get you the results you are looking for.
I would be happy to help you build this out as it is well within my skill set.
You can reach me on andrewjohnson56782@gmail.com
Best Wishes,
Andrew

amanda_jones
5 - Automation Enthusiast

hello Alicia,

i have shot a PM. please let me know in case you are still looking for help.

Regards,
Amanda

Airtable_agency

Hey Alicia,
thanks for posting here, we have extensive experience in getting the best out of Airtable to forecast human resources and plan project allocations while taking into account historical data. If you could contact me us at team@airtable.agency we’d be happy to discuss the project in more detail.

Thank you, Tim

Diane_Elkins1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Alicia,

If you’re still looking for help with Airtable, I would love to talk with you. I’ve worked closely with with an Interior Designer and have learned a lot about your industry.

Here’s my LinkedIn profile and my website, PositiveWorkspace.com.

Thank you,
Diane Elkins
diane@positiveworkspace.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I’d be happy to discuss some ideas with you, as well as getting a better understanding of how the Airtable will be an asset to your team and business.

Once we’ve discussed your vision and goals, I can then provide you an accurate price and timeframe to get the project started!

Schedule a free phone consultation via this link: www.wisedesign.co/schedule

To learn a little more about myself, please visit my website: www.wisedesign.co

If you’d like to connect with me on LinkedIn, please do so here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/eckline/

I look forward to hearing form you!

Best,
Eric

Chris_XIV
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Alicia,

Would love to chat more about what you’re looking to achieve here.

http://airtable.services/

Nick_Hanoian
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey! I wrote this blog post about how to create a forecasting tool in AirTable. If you just switched out the currency fields for hours you could easily use the template for what you’re looking for! I also do consulting if you’re interested in a full service solution.

@Nick_Hanoian,

Great article! Can you describe the forecasting algorithm you used in this example? It wasn’t clear to me how the process computes future revenues.

Nick_Hanoian1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks for the feedback @Bill.French! This is my first of hopefully many, so I appreciate all the help I can get. The way I use it, once the expected revenues are filled into the Forecast Billings table, you can see the actual vs forecasted in the Billing Periods table. I suppose I should clarify that the actual forecasting component (figuring out how much revenue you’ll be making) is up to the user to fill in based on what they think their clients will pay in each month. To create a more complex model once you’ve got the data, I might try out averaging the forecasted revenues and actual revenues to come up with future numbers, but it’s highly dependent on what kind of billing model you have.

Understood. That’s what I thought.

As a former accountant in a previous life, I found your approach and article to be really well thought out - a great success pattern for other Airtable users. And your writing skills are excellent too.

Here’s a way to approach that challenge with the new Script Block.