cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cady_Smith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,
I’m trying to create an event check in table. I have it set up right now where they register via a form online in the days leading up to the event. A QR code is automatically generated for them (using their email) and attached to their record via Zapier.

I want to set it up so that when their QR code is scanned at the event it updates a checkbox on their record to ‘Attended’. I’m assuming I need Zapier to do this but I’m not sure where to begin setting this one up. Any tutorials you can point me to would be helpful.

Alternatively, it would be nice if the event manager could scan the QR code into a separate table and have it populate with the information from the registration table (First Name, Last Name, etc.). Not sure if this can be done by lookup/linking.

9 Replies 9
Sher
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Cady. I’m new to Airtable, but I’ve found formulas to be extremely powerful so far. I’m not at the point where I can write one for you, but maybe the resources I’ve been using will help you as well. This video about formulas, and this field guide in Airtable Support.
Hope that helps!
:thumbs_up: for using Shenanigans in the title :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

Mac
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I think your form would need to create a new record and a barcode for that record. Connect Zapier to trigger on the record creation and use the email address the participant entered into the form to send them an email from zapier with the QR code.

That sounds like a multi step zap, which is a paid subscription.

Good luck and post your results if you get it working, sounds like a great use case!

From what I think I understand here, it sounds like you have a QR code stored in Airtable with each registrants record, and that QR code is sent to the registrant also, which they present when attending to have it scanned.

If that’s the case, when you scan an attendees QR code at the event, what will happen is Airtable will search for and find that registrants record — the QR scanner in the mobile Airtable app is linked to the search bar. Once the registrants record shows, it should be pretty trivial for the person checking them in to just tap on their record to open it, and then tap a checkbox to mark them as in attendance. I’d suggest doing that, as it’s simple, quick, and far less prone to sync errors and issues.

Here’s an example of what that looks like:

AFGF
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Cady,

How did you auto-generate the QR code in the first step? I am currently unable to do this with my event check-in. I have a form but it does not auto-generate a QR code.

Best,
Freedom

Hi @Cady_Smith

Bumping this thread up the stack. I’m also wondering if you found a solution to this.

Thanks!
Liam

Abdulrahman_Alz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We made a tool that updates an Airtable record with a pre-defined value when a URL is opened. It doesn’t generate QR codes, but you can combine it with this other tool that we made that will give you exactly what you’re looking for.

Hi Abdulrahman,

Is there a helpdesk at MiniExtentions that I could contact before purchasing these tools?

Best,
Freedom

I just sent you a message.