Script to autofill a linked field when new record created

Hi everyone! My coding skills are pretty limited :pensive: Here’s my problem:

I have 2 tables.

• Table 1: a list of companies (records) with various fields.

• Table 2: I use this table to perform various statistics on all the companies in table 1 through many “Count” fields.

Both tables are linked: in table 1, I have field with a “Stats” for each record. That field is linked to table 2 where I only have one record (“Stats”).

My problem: every time I create a new record in table 1, I have to populate the linked field with “Stats” to make sure my stats in table 2 are updated. It’s OK to do that manually for a few new records, but I have to enter dozens of new records a day. I am looking for a simple script that would automatically populate my linked field in table 1 with “Stats” (i.e link it to the sole record ID of the record in table 2).

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help me on this ! I have read lots of posts on this but I can’t find any solution that fits my single issue (and my limited coding skills). Many thanks in advance !!!

Sine you’ll only ever be linking to one record, I’d find that one record’s ID (expand the record and find it in the URL, or create a formula field with RECORD_ID()).

So if that one record’s id is “recWqRR6Sx4MXwfBU”, then your script could look like this:

const table = base.getTable("Table 1")
const query = await table.selectRecordsAsync()
const records = query.records

const singleRecordId = "recWqRR6Sx4MXwfBU"

records.forEach(x => {
    if (!x.getCellValue("Stats")) {
        table.updateRecordAsync(x.id, {
            "Stats": [{id: singleRecordId}]
        })
    }
})
3 Likes

It works like a charm!!! Amazing! Many-many thanks for your help :pray:t2::pray:t2:

Glad to hear it. Can you mark my first comment as the solution?

Of course! It’s done. Thanks again Kamille!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.