cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_K
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey all,

I’d love your feedback on a tool we’re working on, called Scripts.

What is it? An extension that embeds an onsite code editor into your bases.

Why would I need that? If you’ve ever used Google Scripts or VBA for automating spreadsheets, this is the same for Airtable.

It makes it easy to build custom alerts, automations, workflows, reports, and integrations for your bases, using short Python scripts. The extension handles API calls behind the scenes (even as the Airtable API is quite limiting), OAuth with other apps you’re integrating with, hosting, and more.

Who is it for? It’s designed for power users with a bit of Python experience, automation geeks, or API developers.

What’s the ask? Take the extension for a spin, reply back with your feedback, and don’t share too broadly just yet… we haven’t yet launched!

Paul

PS - here are some cool use-cases

Build an Google Sheets Export/Import integration in 60 seconds

Setup mail merge in Airtable

33 Replies 33
Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Pretty cool stuff! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello Paul. This looks great. I just installed it as a chrome extension and then made a request for Airtable scripting access. Is that what I am supposed to do?

Hey @David_Skinner, yup - you got it.

Then to open the editor, go to any base and click click the green leaf in the bottom left (may need to restart if you just installed).

Once in, import a template to see how it works, or check out some of the vids. Message me if you have any q’s!

Nice one. It says my account can’t add triggers. Is this a feature that isn’t ready yet? Or one I would have to pay for? What triggers are/will be available?

Good catch.

At least according to the Airtable API docs, it doesn’t seem like Airtable officially supports webhooks. I’m guessing they have a special “on new record” webhook for Zapier, but aren’t ready to enable that for anyone else.

As soon as they launch webhooks - hopefully both ‘on new record’ and ‘on changed record’ - we can enable triggers in the scripting editor. Maybe comment on this feature request in the meantime?

OK cool. I’ll have a play around with it and let you know how I get on.

Sounds great :thumbs_up: @David_Skinner

Alessandra_Carl
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

HI @Paul_K,
I added extension to chrome, I created the api key, but I do not see the green leaf in the bottom left.
What is wrong? Can you help me?
Many thanks
Alessandra

Hey @Alessandra_Carlevaro - you may need to refresh the base page that you’re on for the button to pop up the first time.