Help

Send records to specific tables based on value selected from single select field

927 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wladimir_Rahn
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a form on my website which also has a single select field in it. There are 5 categories to choose from. How can I send form submissions to table 1 when category 1 is chosen. Send to table 2 when category 2 is chosen. Etc.

Right now I can achieve this using Zapier, but I am wondering if this is possible within Airtable without using Zapier?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1
Carly_Taylor
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Great question!

What you want to accomplish can almost certainly be done by using filtered views rather than multiple tables, which would end up making it much harder to manage and review your data. In general, we recommend keeping the same type of information consolidated within one single table. Airtable is a relational database, and its tables should be thought of differently than tabs on a spreadsheet. Records shouldn’t be categorized across tables or moved between them to indicate progression in status or reassignment. Whenever you have more than one table with the same field configuration, it’s a sign that you may want to rethink how you’re structuring your base.

if your case you can create a view for each category and once the submissions are entered the records will move into those views automatically.

Generally speaking, different tables should only be used to distinguish distinct types of records (e.g. products from clients from events ) - not to categorize things of the same species, like projects for different months, work orders for different companies, or content pieces for different channels. You will quickly hit limitations if records are split up across tables without warranting such independence. To optimize your Airtable experience, we highly recommend categorizing records of the same species by using field values and filtered views, rather than filing them into separate tables and/or duplicating them to other tables to indicate a status change.

For guidance on reworking your current setup, this article may be helpful.

I hope this advice is useful!

If this answers your question remember to mark the answer as a solution with the :white_check_mark: