2379 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan_Larsen
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’m kind of surprised this isn’t an issue for more people, so I suspect I’m missing something… I need to limit a user’s selection in a single or multiple select form to the options I’ve entered, but currently they can enter their own options… Not good! Help!

3 Replies 3
Emmett_Nicholas
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

If you lower that user’s permission level to “Edit only”, instead of “Creator” or “Owner”, then they wouldn’t be able to create new select options. They’ll still be able to select existing options though.

Here’s some more info about Airtable permission levels: https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/202887099-Permissions

Thanks for your reply. The use case is a public form that I invite unregistered people to fill out so I don’t have any control over permissions. This problem gets worse as people contribute to the form because each answer becomes part of the default selections.

Again, I hope I’m just missing a setting or something… Leaving a select field open like this is the exception compared to excel, access, fieldbook, google sheets, etc. Those programs don’t allow users to change the options by default - only when the owner explicitly gives such permission.

Aren’t others running into trouble with this? How are you working around it?

Ah ok-- I didn’t realize you were referring to public forms. I may not be fully understanding your issue here, since in public forms, it’s already the case that people filling out the form can never create new select options.