914 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nathan_Mock
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is there a way to definitively define the sort order when linking to an existing record on a “Link to another record” field type?

Let’s say we have “Table 1 (T1)” and “Table 2 (T2)”. On T2, I’ve created a linked record to T1. I’ve created a view on T1 with the appropriate sorting order (in this case, “date modified”). On T2, I’ve selected this view on the “Limit record selection to a view” setting. When I go to associate / start entering my query and filtering records from T2, it seems the order is not predictable, and certainly, not sorted by the “date modified” as I had defined in the T1 view.

Any ideas how to maintain sort order from the T1’s view?

4 Replies 4

As long as your records in the T1 view are not grouped, then your records from that view will be sorted in the exact same order when you go to add those linked records in T2.

But if you group your records, then Airtable strangely has no concept of the sort order anymore. It’s very bizarre.

As long as your records in the T1 view are not grouped, then your records from that view will be sorted in the exact same order when you go to add those linked records in T2.
But if you group your records, then Airtable strangely has no concept of the sort order anymore. It’s very bizarre.

The records in T1 are not explicitly grouped, but the sort order is defined first by a formula (returning a boolean), then by date modified. Perhaps it’s treating this computed property as a “grouping”?

Nope, that won’t make a difference. If you’re still having problems, post a video with the issue that you’re having.

Nope, that won’t make a difference. If you’re still having problems, post a video with the issue that you’re having.

Is there something I can show you specifically / describe to help isolate the issue? I am expecting linking a record from T2 to show the same sort order as if I was using the filter function on T1 on the primary key. Assuming View 1 (V1) exists on T1.

On T1 and on V1, I filtered my records with query “XYZ” and observed the results/sort order.

After clearing the filter on T1, on T2, I proceeded to start to link a record from T1 (with “limiting record selection” set to V1), entered the query “XYZ” and observed the results/sort order, the results appeared in a different order after comparing.