Help

Two tables with different collaborators and have all entries roll up into a single master table that they each cannot see

Topic Labels: Collaboration
711 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zachary_Podbela
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Details:

• I want to allow person X edit access to table A where they can enter
    in their available inventory and change it at any time.

• I want to allow person Y edit access to table B where they can enter in their available inventory and change it at any time.

• Tables A and B have the exact same fields and structure.

• I want to set up a third table
    that shows all entries in A and B and neither X or Y can view (they
    can’t be able to see each other’s inventory).

The first three bullets are easy, but figuring out the structure to amalgamate them in a place where all permission can be removed from X and Y (collaborators on tables A and B) seems impossible.
Things I’ve tried:

• Two different bases, one for collaborator X and one for collaborator Y, and then a third base that amalgamates the other two. Problem: There doesn’t seem to be a way to share data across bases. I’ve tried using “links” as well, and those are from one table to another within the same base.
  • Two tables in the same base. Problem: I can’t set collaborator sharing permissions at the table level, only the base.
  • Two views in the same table with an “Owner” field. Problem: I can’t set collaborate sharing permissions at the view level, only the base.

Is there a feature set I may be missing? Or an assumption above I’ve got wrong? I am a fairly skilled developer so I am open to creative technical or API driven solutions as well. Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Hi Zachary,

What you are trying to do cannot be done directly from Airtable.

You were on the right track when you thought about creating 2 different bases with a 3rd base to collect the information from both bases into a separate one. But again, there is no direct way on Airtable to consolidate the data into the 3rd base. You will need to use something like Zapier to add a new record to the 3rd base once a new record is created in any of the other bases. It is simple to use.

Best Regards,
Mo