Two tables with different collaborators and have all entries roll up into a single master table that they each cannot see

Details:

• I want to allow person X edit access to table A where they can enter
    in their available inventory and change it at any time.

• I want to allow person Y edit access to table B where they can enter in their available inventory and change it at any time.

• Tables A and B have the exact same fields and structure.

• I want to set up a third table
    that shows all entries in A and B and neither X or Y can view (they
    can’t be able to see each other’s inventory).

The first three bullets are easy, but figuring out the structure to amalgamate them in a place where all permission can be removed from X and Y (collaborators on tables A and B) seems impossible.
Things I’ve tried:

• Two different bases, one for collaborator X and one for collaborator Y, and then a third base that amalgamates the other two. Problem: There doesn’t seem to be a way to share data across bases. I’ve tried using “links” as well, and those are from one table to another within the same base.
  • Two tables in the same base. Problem: I can’t set collaborator sharing permissions at the table level, only the base.
  • Two views in the same table with an “Owner” field. Problem: I can’t set collaborate sharing permissions at the view level, only the base.

Is there a feature set I may be missing? Or an assumption above I’ve got wrong? I am a fairly skilled developer so I am open to creative technical or API driven solutions as well. Thanks!

Hi Zachary,

What you are trying to do cannot be done directly from Airtable.

You were on the right track when you thought about creating 2 different bases with a 3rd base to collect the information from both bases into a separate one. But again, there is no direct way on Airtable to consolidate the data into the 3rd base. You will need to use something like Zapier to add a new record to the 3rd base once a new record is created in any of the other bases. It is simple to use.

Best Regards,
Mo

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.