cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jennifer_Shield
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Kia ora!

I’m setting up an automation that watches one table for new records, and updates records in a second table with the information from the first. The specific use case is clients being able to update their personal information. This is done via a form in the first table with a range of optional fields - with the aim being that clients can only fill out what needs updating and leave the rest.

However, when updating records in the second table based on these entries in the first, any empty fields in a record in the first table wipes the data from those fields in the second.

Is there a way to leave fields alone if the fields in the new record are empty?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This would require a scripting action. Other actions in Airtable automations do not allow for this type of logic.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This would require a scripting action. Other actions in Airtable automations do not allow for this type of logic.

@Jennifer_Shields You might be better served by giving your clients access to edit their data via a portal like this one:

Otherwise, if you’d like to stick with automations, you’d either need to write your own custom JavaScript (as @kuovonne mentioned above), or you can turn to a no-code automation platform like Integromat.

(Note that I am a professional Airtable consultant and a Registered Integromat Partner, and the Integromat link contains my personal referral code.)