URL Parameter for filter on a view

Newbie question here! I searched the forum and couldn’t find what I needed.

Wondering if it’s possible to share a read only link to a view with a URL parameter that filters to only show the records that match the parameter value?

Specifically, we have a field called “Group ID” that serves as a parent/master identifier that we use to group records together. I would like to share a read-only link with the Group ID value added on the end as a parameter. The viewer would then only be able to view records that had that particular Group ID. I’m able to dynamically generate the URL and send each time with a different Group ID and only want the viewer to see the records for that Group ID referenced in the URL they received.

The general idea is: www.airtable.com/viewid/?groupid=123456 would only show records that had a value of “123456” for the Group ID field.

I’m not sure how to set up the view and/or field or how to structure the URL :frowning:

From what I see hints of, this can be done but I couldn’t find specifics. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I don’t think this can be done in the URL - filter, sort, and group are done via JavaScript in the browser, not through URL parameters (you can see this by the fact that if you preview a shared view URL and then apply a filter, it does not reload the page or change the URL at all).

The only way to package a filter into a shared view is to build it into the view to start with - in other words, you need to build a View in your base for each Group ID filter, and each one will have a unique share URL.

Thanks Jeremy.

That’s a bummer. I was hopeful. Unfortunately it’s not practical to build views for each Group ID, since we could have hundreds of Group IDs each month. Yeah, I noticed that same thing, that the URL didn’t change, that should have been my first clue, ha.

Holding out hope for some sort of workaround. :slight_smile:

If not, upon further consideration I could possibly work with having one filter on one view that everyone can see, I just need to add a couple more criteria. Was hoping to be more targeted in what I was sharing but oh well!

Thanks again Jeremy.