Use formula to auto populate field in main table based on data from second table

Kind of new to using Airtable.

Let’s say I have two tables. The first table is a master table with a whole bunch of information. For purposes of this ask, I am condensing to exactly what I need to know, but ideally this table will have a lot more info based on a client. The second table is a list of people involved and their role and what clients they have.

A client can have 1 manager. But a manager can have multiple clients. So, what I want to do, is have a formula (or some other function) set up so that the Table1:Manager field auto-populates the Table2:ManagerName based on if the Table1:ClientCode value exists in Table2:Clients. I want it this way so that if clients get moved around managers, then it can update easily on my master table without as much manual intervention.

Basically:
Grab Table2:ManagerName where Table1:Clients is in Table2:Clients and insert it into Table1:Manager for Table1:ClientCode.

Table1
Name | ClientCode | Manager
GoKart | GK | ??
RollerSkate | RS | ??
FunZone | FZ | ??

Table2
ManagerName | Role | Clients
John Doe | PM | GK, FZ
Jane Doe | PM | RS

Is this possible?

You need to link your records together so you can take advantage of Lookup fields.

Seems like the {Clients} field in Table 2 should be a Link to Another Record field pointed at Table 1’s {Name} field. You could then add a lookup field to Table 2 to pull in the client’s {ClientCode}. The process of linking two tables together automatically adds a corresponding field in the other table, so when you look back at Table 2, there should be a link field already created for you for {Manager} (it will be named whatever Table 2 is named) that fills in automatically whenever you link a Manager to a Client in Table 2. Since links are reciprocal, you could also link Clients to Managers from within Table 1.

This topic was solved and automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.