5372 7
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Garland_Coulson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I think I have a “chicken and the egg” problem.

I have created a task list table for freelancers I am working with. I would like them to only see their own tasks and not tasks I have assigned to other freelancers.

I can create a view for each freelancer by having it grouped around them as a collaborator. But, in order to add them to a collaborator field, I have to invite them to the base first.

So I can’t create the personal view until they are a collaborator. But I can’t invite them until I can restrict them to the personal view unless they are already a collaborator.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

7 Replies 7

While the information in the link above does not state it explicitly, I have tested this and found that it is not possible to do what you are wanting in Airtable’s current state. The user permissions are not granular to the level of a view.

No matter what level of permissions you set a collaborator to (Creator, Editor, Commenter, Read Only), that collaborator will be able to see everything in the base - even views that you make “Personal”. They can see it, but perhaps not edit it. If you do not want somebody to be able to see every single record and field in your base, then, simply put, you cannot have them as a collaborator in your base at any level. And if they are not a collaborator, you cannot have them check off tasks. Other solutions to achieve something similar may be available using external automation services and web-form services, but they will require work in setting up and additional subscription fees to those services.

This is an area that I know the Airtable team is looking at, as there is high demand for more granular user permissions:

But until Airtable decides that they can implement something like collaboration at the level of only a single table, or only a single view, without it being an overwhelming burden on the software or on the ease of use of their product, what you are wanting to achieve is beyond the scope of Airtable :disappointed_relieved:

EDIT: Be sure to add your voice and explain your use case on this post - the more detail you can give them about why you want this and how you would use it, the better. And also “Like” the original post so Airtable sees the desire among the community for more granular user permissions growing in that way.

Thanks for your help Jeremy, I added my use case to the post you suggested.

HomeSIT_Cape_To
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have the exact same problem. I need to invite a collaborator to a table within a base only that is filtered and locked so they see only their records but view only doesn’t work. I need them to be able to edit.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

This problem can be solved with third-party apps. We’ve built an extension that allows you to share records with people without giving them full access to Airtable. You can limit them to only see their records and they can only update some parts of their records.

Eduardo_Dito
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

So, is this still not available?
I’m trying to move my team to Airtable, we need this functionality and I can’t find the way.
What about permission to edit only the rows they are assigned to?

Bennett_Hauser
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1 for a new classification of views accessible (viewable/editable) only to specific individuals as determined/controlled by the Owner of the base

Cari_Conklin

If the View filter could, when filtering on a Collaborator field, have “Logged In Collaborator” as an option, in addition to the explicit list of collaborators in the base, this would allow a more flexible “My Records” view on any table. Another way to handle this would be to allow filter values to be a formula and add a formula that gets the identity of the current logged in user - something like COLLABORATOR(). Voila, you set the filter value on your Collaborator field to COLLABORATOR() and you have the MVP Airtable feature!