cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Airtabling
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi there,

I’ve been playing around with my database trying to get something to work, but unfortunately haven’t figured it out and can’t find a similar question in the forum.

Here’s what I’d like to do, as an example:

Table A displays recipe records. For each recipe, there is an ‘easy instructions’ field and ‘difficult instructions’ field. They give the same recipe but using different language & different detail.

A view in Table B will be seen by the user, once their personal recipe Helper has allocated recipes for them. They will see a shared version of this table with only one ‘instructions’ field. Whether it displays the easy or difficult version will depend on what the Helper selects for them.

So on the backend, there is a field that is hidden from the frontend table view, which is an ‘Easy?’ checkbox field.

Question: Is it possible to get the Instructions field to say something like this:

IF checkbox ‘Easy?’ is checked, THEN lookup and display ‘easy instructions’ field in Table A, ELSE lookup and display ‘difficult instructions’ field

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 Replies 2

Hi @Airtabling - this is the way I would do this:

Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 09.45.45.png

So Recipe is a linked records to your recipes table. And Easy is a checkbox, as you describe. Then have two lookup fields - one for the hard instructions and one for the easy instructions. Finally, you have a formula field for your display instructions with formula:

IF({Easy?}, {Easy Instructions}, {Hard Instructions})

The finishing touch is to hide the two instruction lookup fields:

Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 09.48.12.png

JB

Absolutely perfect. Thanks for taking the time to help, JB!