cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Lyle
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,

I have a situation where users use a for to create data, then at a later date I want that data presented back to them (in Slack)

I have a image / file column in Airtable and I cannot get that to populate in a bot slack message.

What would be fantastic is if I could get a pdf of the form of the 1 record and then resend in slack. I can already bring up some of the text strings and send via slack, but cannot find out how to attach images.

1 Reply 1
Jacqueline_Bolt
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I wanted to do something similar: display an image thumbnail and link to update that image in Airtable via a Slack bot. Linking to the field was straightforward but when I tried to add a thumbnail to an attachment field the automation failed.

Here’s how I solved it.

Create two fields:

1. An attachment field. At the time I’m posting this Airtable requires the attachment field type to be an array, meaning you can’t limit to just one attachment. So, in order to chose the URL, you need to specify where to find the URL in the potential array of attachments. I called my field basicTemplateScreenshotAttachment.

2. A formula field that specifies which URL to include from your attachment. You can read more here. Here’s my formula:
RIGHT(LEFT({basicTemplateScreenshotAttachment},
LEN({basicTemplateScreenshotAttachment}) - 1),
LEN(LEFT({basicTemplateScreenshotAttachment},
LEN({basicTemplateScreenshotAttachment}) - 1)) -
SEARCH(“https://”, {basicTemplateScreenshotAttachment}) + 1)

Screenshot of my message:
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 12.54.22 AM

NOTE: When the message it sent to Slack for a second time with an unchanged URL, slack does not display the thumbnail. Slack only displays the image thumbnail when the message is sent for the first time with that unique URL.

Hopefully this helps!