Forms in Interface Designer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emily_Sermons
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Airtable Community! :wave: I’m Emily, a product manager for Airtable’s Interfaces team. I’m so excited to announce a new feature that is available today: Interface Forms!

What are Interface forms?
Interface forms are an easy way to create new records directly in Interfaces. Using the full power of the Interface Designer layout engine, you can customize exactly what information you’d like your users to enter each time they create a new record.

How can I access Interface forms?
There are two ways to create a new form:

1. Create a full-screen form using the new form layout. This should be available any time you create a new page in an Interface.
  2. You can add forms to existing pages that include a Record List or a Record Picker. Select either of these elements and toggle “Allow users to create new records” in the properties panel. From there, you can configure your form modal.

Who can use these forms?
Any user who has access to your Interface can access the forms you make to create new records. Stay tuned for more updates on Permissions in Interface Designer coming this fall.

Is this meant to replace Form view in the base?
Using the Form view in the base is still a great way to collect information from users who do not have an Airtable account. Interface forms are meant to be an easy way to create new records directly from an Interface.

What can I expect next?
The team is working on a lot of exciting updates to Interface Designer in the coming months, including: improvements to Interface forms, new button types, Navigation, Permissions, and more! We always love to hear what you want to see more of, and happy to answer any questions.

Interface Designer Contest
I also hope to see many of you make use of this new feature in the Interface Designer Contest. Because this feature is being rolled out a bit later than anticipated, I’m excited to share that we will be extending the Interface Designer Contest deadline by 2 weeks - you will now have until August 12 to get in your submissions. I’ll be one of the judges and can’t wait to see what you all create! More details about the contest can be found here.

This update is available now. If you aren’t seeing these changes reflected, please try clearing your cache.

50 Comments
Kim_Trager1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Thanks for explaining - yes I agree would be a nice automation. But I’ll play around with your workaround. Thank you for highlighting it.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Another question/request I have regarding Interface Forms - I note that they don’t allow to display formulas.

For example, I’d like to create an Interface form where as the user fills out a text field, a formula is displayed that processes/returns that parsed text field.

Ruchika_Abbi1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Forms currently seem to be only for Creating new records. Would be great for editing records too. While a normal interface can be used for editing records, interfaces for workflows require some fields to be set as required. Having a form interface which allows you to do that would be better than a normal interface.

Ruchika_Abbi1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi @Emily_Sermons
What is the expected behaviour for create form in Record Picker? I have a table “Weekly Data” with a multiple linked field “Rocks” to table Rocks Status.
Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 4.33.39 PM
In my interface, I have a record picker for Rocks in an update weekly Data interface. Now in this create form, the field of Table A doesn’t get set. I have to specifically select the same one as the one I’m on in the interface. Shouldn’t it get set by default, as it does if I was creating a record from the Linked Record in the table?
Regards

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

When creating a record using an interface designer form, it would be nice if the current record would be set to the newly created form. It is annoying to have to hunt for the new record after creating it. Although it is possible to create a new record that is filtered out of the interface, there are more use cases where the new record would not be filtered out.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Good afternoon @Emily_Sermons

I’m creating a significant View Form workflow with my current project - over 30 fields, some linked, some leveraging Automation to transcribe form entered text data into those linked fields for future form use.

My current concerns;

• There’s too much disconnect between key features of the View Form compared to an Interface Form.
  • The main advantage that an Interface View holds is that it supports fields nested into rows.
  • However, the lacking features of an Interface Form compared to a View Form is overwhelming, preventing the adoption of an Interface Form.
  • Interface Forms have absolutely highlighted the need for a View Form to be able to nest multiple fields per row.

I’m really hoping that Airtable Interface Form and View Form developers are both working together to bring both Form solutions inline with one another.

Tristan-ARG
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yesss we want it back!

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

It seems that when picking a linked record in an interface form, the form does not respect limiting records to the view specified for the field.

The user also does not get a preview of a handful of field values—only the primary field value. Since users have full access to the base it seems strange to not show these preview fields.

Is anyone else able to reproduce these behaviors?

Ruchika_Abbi1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Can someone confirm if this is the expected behavior?

When creating a new record using Create Form of a record picker, the parent record doesn’t seem to get set by default, essentially it’s not creating a linked record, just a new record. Does anyone else see this behaviour?

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This seems to be fixed. Thank you, Airtable.