cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

webhooks2

On top of other releases this week, we have another exciting new feature - incoming webhooks for automations!

With the new incoming webhook trigger you can connect Airtable with many of the tools and products that you and your team use (whether a third-party service or an internal tool).

Normally, you’d have to write custom code and spin up your own infrastructure in order to handle webhooks, but now, whenever an event fires in another product, you can tap into the full power of Airtable Automations to handle it accordingly.

webhooks

How it works

The incoming webhook trigger will create a unique URL that you can use to trigger an Airtable automation. You can use this URL with another service’s webhook configuration UI, or use it directly from your own custom code (e.g. from an internal tool). When Airtable receives a request at this URL, we’ll then trigger the automation that you configured (just like our other triggers).

This enables you to integrate with services that Airtable doesn’t currently support, or to programmatically trigger automations, preventing you from having to write custom code or manage your own infrastructure.

You can learn more about using the incoming webhook trigger in our Support Center.

View support article →

52 Comments
Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I think this is possible now - this screen shot shows the body received via a Tookan webhook where custom_fields is a collection of JSON objects that contain a variety fields. One need only map this into a variable in your script action using input.config() and away you go.

Brian_Gumm1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

When I click on a “collection”-like area of the JSON payload, I only get the “Continue >” link to traverse farther into the JSON payload, not the option to Insert it into the input.config() variable…

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 2.25.57 PM

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Yes, that constraint still exists and it’s just dumb. At the very least a dot should give you the body.

Workaround…

Once the webhook is received, I tease out the id of the data source and then perform an immediate call back into the source of the webhook call, thus capturing the full body.

Brian_Gumm1

Hmmm…great little trick - I think it will work in my use case as well!

(But yes, still: Just pretty plz give us the ability to assign the payload to an input variable for crying out loud! :grinning_face_with_sweat: )

Tom_Keysers
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Seconding (read: bazillioning) the request for the ability to assigning the full json payload to a variable. Shouldn’t be that hard, right.

Ambroise_Dhenai
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I opened Is it possible to read a webhook data from a script? thinking what I wanted to do was rather straightforward, but no, Airtable doesn’t cease to surprise me with their design that looks like it’s been thought-out by a 2 months intern.

Accessing the whole payload from a script seemed like such a common need for anything a bit dynamic, but not, that’s not even possible.

I’m gonna build my own webhook outside of AT, not worth wasting my time on this.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

LOL. I’ve said this repeatedly in very similar terms.

Cameron_Mason1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@kuovonne This was very helpful. I do have a question, however.

How would you handle this the values were null? Sometimes my payload inlcudes a fruit list and sometimes it doesn’t.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Airtable’s incoming webhooks are currently very basic & limited.

For full control over incoming webhooks & incoming mailhooks (i.e. incoming email messages), no matter what format the data is coming in as — and then handling the incoming data in any way that you’d like — you would need to use a tool that gives you this sort of control.

The tool that I personally use for this with my Airtable clients is Make.com:

Make Webhooks

They also have full Airtable integration:

I’m sure there are many other tools out there that do the exact same thing and are probably even better than Make, but that is just the tool that I use and am familiar with, and it is considered a low-code tool.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

That is for the script to handle. It is common for null values to be omitted from a payload to reduce the amount of data transferred. If there is no fruit list in the payload, then there are no fruits in the list.