Introducing: Mobile Interfaces on iPhone

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patti_Lo
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hello everyone! I’m Patti, a Product Designer at Airtable and I’m excited to share Mobile Interfaces are now available to use on your iPhone!

Whether you're commuting, away from your desk, or simply prefer using your phone, you can now effortlessly view and manage interfaces from the convenience of the Airtable app. All you have to do is download the latest version of the Airtable iOS app.

Below are some key functionalities you’ll see on mobile:

Easily navigate to your interfaces directly from the Airtable app home screen or from links in emails and notifications.

mobile-interfaces-nav.pngCut through the noise and view full-screen pages of List, Gallery, Calendar, or Kanban layouts. Not only that, you’ll also be able to search and filter records using the tab or dropdown filter elements.

mobile-interfaces-views.png

Make edits to field data, view and add comments, and take most button actions on a record.

mobile-interfaces-record.png

Add new records through a form.

mobile-interfaces-form.png

As you use the new mobile experience, please share your thoughts with us—we value your feedback as we continue to improve and develop more features and layouts. We’re looking forward to hearing what you think! Again, just make sure you have the most updated version of the app

Last but not least, we did not forget about all our amazing Android users! Stay tuned for an update in the near future.

47 Comments
Susan_Lanier
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Literally every single one of the interface pages I've created for my team comes up as a blank screen on mobile. Are lists and custom designed pages (rather than the interface templates) not supported? 

To do this right, I think there needs to be a more robust interface designer where we can customize layouts for mobile as well as desktop.

Liz_Shaw
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I can't believe in the year 2023 a large, established company would release significant new mobile features exclusively on the iOS platform. 

Edited to elaborate: We're a BYOD organization. We don't control what mobile devices our staffers use. As noted above by other commenters, mobile access to interfaces is what we've been waiting for, so we can move our users out of our bases and give them access exclusively to the specific interfaces they need for their individual job functions. If only a portion of our team can access mobile interfaces, our organization as a whole can't move forward with restructuring and expanding our bases in the way we need to.

Ashley_Jackson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi there, I am thrilled with the new ability to view interfaces on mobile - our team was waiting for this and it's available much faster than I expected!  Quick question... in a List layout, I can only see one of my dropdown filters... any idea why that is?

Patti_Lo
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Thanks for all the feedback! Hopefully this addresses some of the questions:

• Navigation: You can navigate to your interfaces from the base by tapping the icon in the upper right corner next to the base name
  • Checkbox fields: In List view, if you set up a prefix field with a checkbox field, you can check and uncheck that checkbox directly from the list on mobile
  • Dropdown filters: If you’re not seeing a dropdown filter, it is likely a filter for Linked records; that will be coming! 
  • Layouts: In this release, we support the full-screen pages for List, Gallery, Calendar, or Kanban layouts. Grouping on List and a Week timescale for Calendar are on the roadmap. Stay tuned for more updates!
  • Embedded views: Calendar or gallery views embedded within the record detail (sidesheet) are not fully supported yet
  • Android: We’re actively working on Android, but don’t have an exact release date yet
Kai_Muscher
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Please correct me if I am wrong, but only *very* simple interfaces can be displayed in the mobile app. The more complex ones are greyed out and marked with an asterisk (whatever that wants to tell me), not possible to be displayed in the mobile app. Working on enterprise plan.

K

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

This is an excellent start to a revamp that's been desperately needed! In my testing, I've created a simple shopping list, where the user is to select/deselect items. On my Interface list, I've enabled "Edit records inline"

Within the Browser, it works as you'd expect, I can scroll the list, tick/select and unselect items. Cool! But in the Mobile App, this doesn't appear to work. The IOS app always attempts to open the item (an unwanted behaviour, I want inline editing, not open-up editing) where it then offers the same select toggle that I'm trying to deselect, but it's greyed out - so I can't even action the item from my device.

It's most annoying.

What I do like though is the swipe-ability of the List View within the mobile app.👍🏻

If the functionality to edit records inline via mobile app is addressed (as in, I have a shopping list, I just want to tick/untick entries and have them sort accordingly - and not open up entries whilst I'm busy shopping) then this will be a game changer. But unfortunately, I can't use it in its current state.

izzybuysell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Will there ever be a responsive editor? Just like a website editor (Elementor for example), you can edit a page for desktop, or edit a page for mobile.

On interfaces on desktop if there was a button to switch back and forth between mobile interface editor and desktop interface editor, that’d have the most flexibility. 

J_Jones
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Just wanted to mention:

Possible bug: required fields are not consistently enforced on mobile interface forms.  For some forms they do appear on mobile, on others they do not.  Can submit a completely blank form with required fields - no asterisks or errors.  Can't find a pattern as to why.  Have tried enabling/disabling different required fields and killing/restarting the Airtable app, but some forms work and others don't.  

Overall though mobile interfaces are a great addition to Airtable.  We're working on ending our subscriptions with external services like Stacker and solely using Airtable (and increasing our billable users in the process).  We were on the fence about staying with Airtable at all in the long run, but interfaces were a game changer.  Great work!

Dennis_Petrou
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I can see the list of interfaces now, but if I try to click into any of them I get a "This page is not supported on mobile, go to Desktop to view" error. Am I missing something?

@Patti_Lo 

Leslie_Burke
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Like @Dennis_Petrou mentioned, I can see the list of interfaces now, but if I try to click into any of them I get a "This page is not supported on mobile, go to Desktop to view" error. Will I have to recreate all my interfaces in order to make them accessible on mobile?!?