New Feature: Hide Form Field by URL Parameters

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jordan_Scott1
Airtable Alumni (Retired)

Hi all!

Sharing an update you’ll see this week - you can now hide form fields from a submitters view in Airtable using a new URL parameter. This is meant to create a more seamless user experience by hiding any pre-filled fields on forms.

For example, if you’re creating an NPS or beta feedback survey like you’ll see in the example below. On the right, you will see the experience before updating the URL and on the left-hand side, you can see the experience after.

4e43b40027bcf2ed07b83057cbc9bf63c178f2a5.jpeg

In practice, here is an example of how this would be accomplished:

Additional resources:

Let us know if you have any questions!

36 Comments
Grow_With_Jen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

This is awesome. Can’t wait to try it out

Julien_Mottet1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yes !
Airtable :boxing_glove: MiniExtension
But MiniExt not dead yet.

Julien_Mottet1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We gonna stop writing “DO NOT TOUCH THIS FIELD”

Ron_Manke
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Haha! I know, right?

What I would also like is one that is prepopulated and LOCKED for input but still shown on the form.

Jacob

This is great - would love to see this as a native feature in the form field settings (vs passing the url param for hide=true) since all a user has to do is delete that parameter and see the field (which can be problematic for example if the field is looking up private records you don’t want visible on a form.

Joe_Hewes
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

This would be great for automatically linking form submissions to customer records.

BUT

I fear if you pre-filled a linked record field for the customer (we use email as the index) and then hide it, if the recipient then unhides it (by amending the link) they’d be able to see the index field. Get access to the index field and Airtable reveals all of your clients by suggesting completions.

Tell me I’m wrong, please :slightly_smiling_face:

Ron_Manke

For security reasons, you should never use a linked field directing users to master data fields that could be guessed or inferred.

That being said, if you use this feature you should be aware of it’s implications.

marks
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Ron_Manke is spot on and we did include a note in the documentation about not using this as a security feature.

You probably dont want to use this with linked records but you could use it to prefill an email and have an automation triggered by a form submission populate that linked record relationship.

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Welcome (back I guess) to the community! Good thing to see more Airtable employees here :raised_hands: :facepunch:

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Yah, it’s a great step forward - but still needing a method to prevent the user from tinkering with the URL.