New Feature: Hide Form Field by URL Parameters

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jordan_Scott1
Airtable Alumni (Retired)

Hi all!

Sharing an update you’ll see this week - you can now hide form fields from a submitters view in Airtable using a new URL parameter. This is meant to create a more seamless user experience by hiding any pre-filled fields on forms.

For example, if you’re creating an NPS or beta feedback survey like you’ll see in the example below. On the right, you will see the experience before updating the URL and on the left-hand side, you can see the experience after.

4e43b40027bcf2ed07b83057cbc9bf63c178f2a5.jpeg

In practice, here is an example of how this would be accomplished:

Additional resources:

Let us know if you have any questions!

36 Comments
Jacob
5 - Automation Enthusiast

100% - would be great to have conditional logic based on url param (ex. if param is blank, hide/show form field)

Karl_L
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is great! Just when I needed it (again) :thumbs_up:

Cameron_Kaiser
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Huge quality of life change, keep it up :thumbs_up: !

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can already show/hide fields based on conditions from previous fields in the form. This feature lets you hide a field, yet still have its prefilled value be submitted with the form. Previously, prefilled values were not submitted if the the field were hidden.

Jacob

Currently conditional logic exist based on a previous form field, not the url param being present or not … unless Im wrong?

I want the control the conditional logic based on the param value itself (not a form field) … not to mention, what if the field in question is the first question in my form (ex. the answer to the param dictates what questions I ask on the form itself)

Do you believe this is possible with the example in my previous comment?

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You would create a “control” form field to hold the parameter value, prefill the control field with the value, and then hide the control field. Then other fields in the form could show or hide themselves based on the value of the hidden control field.

Jacob

So the workaround would be to create a dedicated column with the sole purpose of toggling the actual field I want to control with the parameter?

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Jordan_Scott1 Thank you very much for posting this official rollout of this feature. This post gives me the confidence that it is safe for me to make updates to my Prefilled Forms app to support this new feature.

Given the recent rollback of two desirable features (editable shared views and the new formula editor), I think you understand the importance of knowing whether a new feature will stick around before we invest in it.

Nathan_Heironim
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Additional Feature Request:

Can we also enable “Hiding Form Titles”? This would be most helpful in the application of embedding forms on sites. ( :slightly_smiling_face:

Currently_Jason
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Totally agree. This is one of my concerns but it’s a step in the right directions.