New: List View

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hello! I’m Ayesha, a Product Manager here at Airtable. We’re so excited to share List View with you — a new view with you that helps you visualize the hierarchy of records across multiple tables:

Ayesha_Bose_0-1675788564901.png

What is List View?

List View is a new view type that makes it easy to create, edit, and manage hierarchical data —whether its projects and tasks, campaigns and deliverables, or a product roadmap and features —all within Airtable. 

List View is built for creating and managing simple or complex projects, whether a user is looking to manage a single product roadmap or marketing campaign, build company-wide OKRs, or even manage the episode production of a TV show’s season. 

Projects typically have a number of tasks, and with List View, you can easily organize those tasks based on importance, urgency, deadline, status, or another category.

This is the only view where you can see multiple fields across different tables at once.

Ayesha_Bose_1-1675788564845.png

How can I create a List View?

You can create this view in the Data tab from the bottom left, where you can create other Views like Calendar, Gallery, etc. In Interfaces, you can add a List element to your pages.

What are the key features of List View?

• You can use this view to visualize hierarchy across tables.
  • Customize your rows to bring in all of the different fields across tables that you need to see:

Ayesha_Bose_2-1675788564857.png

• There are four levels of hierarchy that we support in List view today. We support three tables and the last level can include a linked record within the table to show nested records:

Ayesha_Bose_3-1675788564862.png

• You can prefix an existing checkbox field from your schema to show an intuitive way to check off your records:

Ayesha_Bose_4-1675788564874.png

Other questions?

You can check out our support article here.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think, please let us know if you have any questions.
This update is available now. If you aren’t seeing these changes reflected, please try clearing your cache.

37 Comments
Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Taking another look at the List View this morning, another limitation is that a self linking table, where a Link Field references the table it's created in, can't utilise that linked field in a Level 2 relationship - however, it can use that self-Linked field as a Nested Field, which could be useful.

So here we have a table with a field that represents a "Child" relationship.

Karlstens_0-1675975240087.png

Below is the List View that may be generated from this arrangement.

Karlstens_1-1675975287519.png

But you can't set the same stacked view if your table is geared with a parent relationship.

Karlstens_2-1675975409433.png

If your table has a Parent relationship, then you'll be limited to the below List. It looks back-to-front in my mind.

Karlstens_3-1675975495748.png

And due to the limitation of a Stacked View not being able to use a Linked Field that references its own table, there's not much you can do. This Parent based Table can't be reconfigured within the List View to look as per the first example, meaning a Table (... and maybe a Base) redesign would be needed to leverage the new List view.

I haven't exactly thought too deeply on why such limitations would exist - and perhaps there are reasons. Keen to hear others thoughts on this.

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Great new view!

It would be great if we could collapse all levels at once or per level, like we can with grouping in gridd views. 

Also, when using a link to a sync view in a level, it doesn't show that record in the list view. I can understand that you couldn't change any data (of course), but showing the data should be possible imo. 

Jarvis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

There's a bug - when I added the List view in my interface, and then shared only the interface (and not the base) with someone with an editor access, the person cannot view the pages in the interface where the list view is shown. The rest of the interface loads fine.

Jarvis_0-1676068157388.png

As shown in this image above, he keeps getting this error code: pglDPq0IuyIZbNXYz. However, when I gave him access to the base as well, the Interface loads fine without any errors. I've reproduced this error multiple times, and have received the same error every time.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Good afternoon @Ayesha_Bose,

Working with a client and their extensive base - whilst assessing the new List View, this is one problem that we encountered straight-away during the List views creation - the inability to copy another existing views visible fields.

Can a toggle please be added so that we can easily copy another views field visibility for each table/level?

Karlstens_0-1676251158182.png

Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Kiersten_Kollin: Thanks for flagging this! Right now, we don't currently support the ability to share List views through a shared link. We do support List view in Interfaces and you can share a link to that with your team. We'll keep track of this feedback as well.

Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Karlstens : Thanks for all the comments and apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

• We're very excited about mobile support here and have this on our roadmap. We don't yet have a specific estimated timeframe, but we're working on it!
  • For Lookup fields, can you tell me more about why you need this instead of the linked record? Since you already have the linked record field in that table, you can show any fields from either of the tables in List view. If you have a specific example here, that would be super helpful.
  • Thanks for flagging this. We currently only support linked records within the same table as nested records underneath the lowest level of your List view. With handling up to three tables, with an additional four level with nested records, we had to put in some limitations to handle complex cases (like when there are multiple parents, etc). We'll think more about this, but you may need to adjust some of your table schema to get the List view you need.
  • That's a great suggestion, I'll pass this on to our team! I can see how copying those settings from another view would be really helpful and make this set-up much faster.

Please keep the comments coming, we really appreciate the feedback and it's super helpful for prioritization on our end.

Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Rui_Chen1: Hmm that's unexpected! Do you have a screenshot of what you're experiencing? Would love to track this down if there's a bug here. 

Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Jack_Manuel: Thanks for the feedback! We are actively working on this view, so this is really helpful for our team.

• Yes, we're working on supporting record colors very soon. I'll pass your feedback about an opt-in mailing list to our team.
  •  On the row height alignment, that's intentional by design, but curious if it feels off to you.
  • We went back and forth on this a lot, and ended up with our current numbering to resemble how it feels in a building going up floors. But this is definitely on our radar!
  •  Right now, we don't have any plans to support custom record labels, but if there are specific ones you're looking for, we'd love to get them in and you can submit them via this form.
  • We don't have any immediate plans to increase the number of levels, but would love to hear more about your use cases for more! You can get a 4th level by linking to records in the same table on your lowest level and enabling the ability to show nested records.
  • We're working on this one, totally agree that this is important!
Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Nick_Berg: Got it, that's super helpful feedback! Have you tried out List View in Interfaces? The technical limitation that we have within the Data tab where you have to start at the lowest level isn't there in Interfaces, so it might be a bit easier to build what you're looking for there.

Ayesha_Bose
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Databaser: Thanks for flagging these issues!

• You can expand/collapse an entire level if you right-click. It's pretty hidden right now, but hopefully that helps you.
  • I'll follow up with the team on the synced data issue.