Help

Share your favorite Airtable learnings & unlocks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laura_McCarthy
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

The best part of this Community is the endless exchange of innovative ideas and helpful solutions between our 50,000 members. To celebrate the launch of the new platform, we’d love for you to share your favorite learning or unlock that has deepened your Airtable experience. You will have a chance to win swag by sharing! This could be a hat, perhaps a pair of socks, newly branded T-shirt. Looking forward to the notable Airtable unlocks and learnings from each of you that will inspire others!

1 Comment
Jack_Manuel
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

One I'm really proud of was a solution to colouring records consistently, without duplicate colours. We have a table of projects with lots of related tables like crew shifts and expenditure. In order to have one colour follow a project throughout the base, I created a table of colours. When a project reaches a certain stage, a project manager selects a colour from a linked record field that is limited to only show colours from a view that has filtered out colours already linked to another project. That way they can't apply the same colour to two projects at once.

On every table that links to the projects table, I have a lookup for the colour name and rules that apply colour based on that field.

When a project is marked as completed, I have an automation remove the colour assignation and attach a 'none' colour, freeing up that colour for future projects.

This process was one of the earliest 'aha!' moments I had with Airtable, and really sparked my interest in creating systems.