The Interface Designer Contest 🔥

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jordan_Scott1
Airtable Alumni (Retired)

Hi all - I hope you’re doing well!

I’m excited to announce the Interface Designer Contest.

We have been so impressed by what the community has been able to accomplish with Interface Designer so far, and can’t wait to be inspired by your creativity. This contest will be open through August 12, 2022 at 5pm PT and winners will be announced in late August.

More details can be found below. Happy building 🙂

The categories:

1. Best design: The most intuitive, easy-to-use interface. Not just visually appealing, but also functional.
  2. Best use case/solution focus: The best example of using an Interface to solve a problem for a specific use case or function, for example, Marketing or Product Ops.
  3. Wildcard: Just have fun and build something cool.

The prizes (for each category):

• First place: $5,000, Airtable swag bag, & an invitation to an Interface Designer feedback session with the Airtable product team
  • Second place: $2,000, Airtable swag bag, & an invitation to an Interface Designer feedback session with the Airtable product team
  • Third place: $1,000, Airtable swag bag, & an invitation to an Interface Designer feedback session with the Airtable product team

Judging criteria:

• Creativity (25%) - The extent to which the interface shows creativity and showcases a use case that has never been possible until now. Creative use of advanced features like user filters.
  • Impact (25%) - The extent to which the Interface unlocks new user value and addresses a need. What is the magnitude of the impact delivered to the user?
  • Design (25%) - Ease of use, design & UI/UX. Is the solution intuitive and elegant? Is user navigation easy and simple?
  • Functional & Actionable (25%) - Quality of submission, lack of errors, seamless experience for the end-user. How ready is this for collaboration and interaction from others?

The details:

• Submissions are limited to 1 submission per category per person.
  • You will need to publish your base to Airtable Universe for submission. Details on how to publish to universe can be found here.
  • Submit your Interface here
  • Tip: if you need a dataset to get started, the data.world community is free and a great place to start!

Detailed terms & conditions can be found here

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, European Union, and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are age 18 or older and who are current Airtable subscribers. Void where prohibited. Odds of winning depend on number of entries received. Contest starts at 12:00 a.m. EST on June 1 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. EST on July 31. Each Category’s ARV of prizes: First place ($5,000), Second place ($2,000), Third place ($1,000). ARV of all prizes $25,000. For full Official Rules, prize disclosures, and to enter, review this page. Sponsored by Formagrid Inc, dba Airtable Attn: Airtable Legal Department, 799 Market Street, 8th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103

83 Comments
Jordan_Scott1

Automations are allowed and will carry over when published to Universe!

Brennan_Ward
5 - Automation Enthusiast

@Jordan_Scott1 Glad to hear it! Is there anything in particular we need to do when publishing to the Universe to ensure that the Automations carry over? Currently, if I publish to the Universe and copy the base, automations do NOT travel with it. Is there something I’m doing wrong when publishing?

Jordan_Scott1

They should carry over and we will just have to turn them on once we copy it over

Vivid-Squid
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Is that something only Airtable employees can do? That is kind of scary if I published something to Universe expecting Automations NOT to carry over.

Russell_Bishop1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Been working on my entry this week but stumbled across a (possibly) stupid question…

What do you mean by Interface? Are we being judged on a single interface screen, or the whole set attached to our base?

Because your submission asks just for the Base URL I’m guessing it might be every interface, but I can’t find that detailed in the post.

Thanks!

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This is not my experience. I published a base and tried using it. While the new copy of the base from the universe has the interface, there are no automations. When I make a public share link and enable copying of the base, the copied version also has the interface but no automations. This is different from when I duplicate a base. If I simply duplicate the base, I get both the interface and the automations and simply have to turn the automations on.

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

I’m 99% sure that automations do not carry over into the universe. I also, like @kuovonne, created a second account to test this. I used the base template I had put up in the Universe with my primary account as my contest entry, and it did not contain automations.

What I ended up doing is creating a table where I created a record for each of the automations my Interface relies on, and writing a description of how it works and what it does, and attaching screenshots of the automation setup.

Cherry_Yang2
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Is there documentation required as part of the contest showing others how to use the interface?

Patrick_Kopitz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello! Also now 99.9% sure that automations are NOT carried over. I just wanted to make sure and have just published a base that contains interfaces, extensions and automations in Universe. Extensions & Interfaces are there when I copy the base with a new user I created for testing purpose. Automations are just NOT there…
The only way I know to share automations is the following: > creating a base containing the automations and then allowing users to access and then Duplicate the base. If the base is duplicated, then the automations will be duplicated along with it.

The problem with that method is that
1/ it’s not published and public
2/ if you share that link with a user that is not a registered airtable user, there’s a huge risk that that user will become your “co-worker” instead of having him using your base and automations on his own.

@Jordan_Scott1 it would be great if you could double check and if, like you said previously, the automations should carry over, explain if there is a way to do that within the Universe? Thanks a lot

Brennan_Ward

I’ll ask a non-automation question:

Will we get to see all of the entries once submissions are closed? I’d love to be able to see what everyone else can do with Interfaces!