Help

Re: Ability to update records that don't exist yet with variables?

487 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_Bolton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

So I’m trying to create an automation which creates a record and then updates two of the fields using Airtables built-in automation. But I don’t seem to have the ability to do what I want to do. (Or at least I don’t know how).

This is what I want to do:

It involves 3 tables called: Layouts, Modules, and Content

1. Triggor: When you link a record in the “Body” column cell in the “Layouts” Table
  2. and the record linked has “needs content” checked in the Module Table
  3. Create a record in the content table
  4. And Assign that new content record the “Layout” record it is associated with
  5. And Assign that record the “Module” record it is associated with

As soon as I get to 4 or 5, I see no way to link records in the new content record. I mean if I knew what records in advance, I guess I could do it. But I don’t know which module and layout will be linked in advance.

Is this not possible with automation? Or am I missing something? Or do I need to write a script (Which I am not adept at)

3 Replies 3

Hi @Chris_Bolton
I am not sure if I follow 100% so forgive me if I am wrong.

Your trigger is on the Layouts table, so you should be able to get that recordID from step 1.Then your module id will come from the Create Record step 2

augmented
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Chris. Hasn’t #5 been taken care of in #1. Meaning, the Module record is linked to the Layout record to be part of the trigger that kicks things off. So, #5 should just be a lookup field (through Layout) in the new Content record.

If you actually want a link field for Module in Content, then you’ll want that record id available in Layout that you can copy over to Content in the automation action.

Thank you. I didn’t realize the power of recordID!