3358 12
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YohanLafon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, I would like to add +1 to a #Number column to a dedicated Name line in one table as soon as a record is created in another table including the same name. Is it possible?
Thank you very much 🙏

Example:

Table/tab 1

Name.      Surname Number

Yohan       Lafon.      5

Table/tab 2

Name   Surname

Yohan   Lafon   

When a new record is created in table/tab 2 including this exact Name + Surname, it adds +1 (therefore it gets to 6) in Table/tab 1.

Do you know how to do it?

12 Replies 12

Yes, but before I go into how to do that, can you let us know whether you’re counting instances of the name/surname in Table 2? Because you might be able to link the 2 records and do a Rollup instead….

Thanks for you answer! 
No I'm not counting the instances of the name/surname in table 2 yet.
The only thing that happens is that it creates lines with records every day with different names/surnames
How do I do that? 

I simplified the view of the 2 tables so you see how it look.
I Hide all the others columns to make it easy.
I would like to count the number of lines with the same Name/Surname in Table 2 and add this number in the column of table 1 to the appropriate Name/Surname.
Is it clear? Thank you so much!

Based on the screenshot of your dataset, here's something to get you started thinking.

1. Create a formula field in both tables that computes people's full names (CONCATENATE(Prénom, " ", Nom).

2. Create formula field in the Mentors table that adds 1 to the #Number of Matches field. Call this nextNumber (or whatever)

3. Decide what you want your trigger to be for your automation. For the purposes of this example, I added a checkbox field in the GaiaMatchs table that starts the automation when it is checked.

4. Create your automation:

• Trigger = when a record matches conditions (the checkbox is checked in the GaiaMatchs table)
  • Action = find records in the Mentors table where the Full matches the Full Name in the GaiaMatchs table
  • Conditional Actions = if the length of the List of Records found = 1,  update the record that was found to put the nextNumber into the #Number of Matches; if the length of the List of Records = 0, create a new record in the Mentors table with First Name, Last Name, and #Number of Matches=1.

The problem with this is that it will add a new record for Val Fauvel and any other names that don't exactly match the name in the Mentors table. If you can use a form to have people enter their information instead of having people type it in, that would be better.

Thank you very much!
I still have a problem at this stage:

• Action = find records in the Mentors table where the Full matches the Full Name in the GaiaMatchs table

I cannot only find a record in one table and not the Mentors table and GaiaMatchs table at the same time.
See screenshot here. How do you do this?

You need to create a dynamic condition. Click on the little gear icon that is to the right of the empty box in your condition (it’s *just* outside your screenshot) and choose Dynamic. Then you will be able to compare values from 2 different tables. 

YohanLafon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I tried but than it gives me only these options...

YohanLafon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Sorry it was the wrong trigger. Let me check it works now 🙂

YohanLafon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm almost there. I can now add a +1 in the second table GaiaMatchs but not in the First table because if I choose the table Mentor here, the system is unable to find the Airtable record ID. Do you know how to solve that?
Sorry to be a beginner and thank you so much!!!