Hi Airtable community,
I have a Airtable CRM base that stores contact records. I input additional contact records into this base from a variety of other platforms via Make/Integromat, such as Mailchimp, WooCommerce, WordPress, Google Sheets, etc.
An example automation workflow in Make/Integromat would look like this:
- Step 1: New contact record (via a new row) in Google Sheets >
- Step 2: Search Airtable (contact) record (by searching a contact's email) >
- Step 3: Upsert Airtable (contact record)
- In other words, "upsert Airtable contact record" means if the Airtable contact record's email field matches from Step 2 (search contact by email), then update the record. If Airtable does not have a contact record with the email from G.Sheets, create new record.
This automation works great, but the problem is if a contact record already exists in Airtable, but that person enters a different email from their pre-existing email in Airtable, a new Airtable contact record will get created. For example, John Doe's email in Airtable = firstname.lastname@example.org, but he enters in GSheets a different email like email@example.com. Now I have two "John Does". I don't want Make/Integromat to search Airtable by contact name, because there might be hundreds of John Does out there.
To address this, I've added in a new field called "Email Secondary". But I don't know how to set this up in Make/Integromat.
Below is the ideal logic I'd like to happen. For understanding's sake, here's definitions:
- emailGSheets = email entered into a G.Sheets row
- emailField1 = email field in Airtable called "Email Primary"
- emailField2 = email field in Airtable called "Email Secondary"
If emailGSheets = emailField1, enter emailGSheets into emailField1.
If emailGSheets != emailField1, skip emailField1, check emailField2.
If emailGSheets = emailField2 OR emailField2 is blank, fill in emailField2 with emailGSheets.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!