782 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drew_Nemer
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Does anyone know how to simply program an automation that would allow for clients to be assigned to employees based on first letter of last name.

So if clients with last names starting with:

A - G --> Employee 1

H - M --> Employee 2

N - S -->  Employee 3

T - Z --> Employee 4

i figured this might be a combination of a formula field that just isolated the first letter of last name. But i think there should be a quick second step that would maybe group letters in alphabetical divisions easier than just manually input a condition automation for each letter.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ron_Daniel
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Drew,

The first part is easy: just a formula of 

LEFT({Last Name}, 1)

There are a lot of ways to do the second part, and this is probably not the sleekest one, but what about making a 26-record table of the letters, and linking them to the employees?
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 10.05.08 AM.png
Then all that would be left is to write an automation that adds (or you could just copy/paste) the letter to the linked record field, and a lookup table showing the employee assigned to them:
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 10.07.55 AM.png

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Ron_Daniel
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Drew,

The first part is easy: just a formula of 

LEFT({Last Name}, 1)

There are a lot of ways to do the second part, and this is probably not the sleekest one, but what about making a 26-record table of the letters, and linking them to the employees?
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 10.05.08 AM.png
Then all that would be left is to write an automation that adds (or you could just copy/paste) the letter to the linked record field, and a lookup table showing the employee assigned to them:
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 10.07.55 AM.png
Drew_Nemer
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

i think that solution is as good as any. thank you