cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Etienne
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello, 

Quite new to Airtable, I have an issue with an automation.

We are a non-profit that coaches People, who create Projects

We have a directory table called "Annuaire" where all the People are, a Projects table where we list the Projects and a Prospect Projets table for people who may be interested in our courses. 

The prospect table has a form, so people can enter their info by themselves. To keep things simple, the Prospect table has info related to the person (which would go in the Directory table) and the project (which will stay in the Prospect Projets table for now). 

The automation I have in mind is the following : 

1. When a record is created, the personal information create a new record in the Directory table
2. It updates the category (but that part is not a problem
3. Then, the created record in "1" is updated to link the Prospect Projets to the "Annuaire" field in the table

I've tried the following automation : 

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 11.31.28.png

But as you can see, I have an error I have trouble solving

Here is the setup of the last step 

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 11.35.36.png
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 11.36.57.png

Would somebody be able to help ?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Weird, that looks like it's set up fine.  May I know if you've tried re-testing all the previous steps?

You could also try creating the link when you're creating the record itself instead of via an "Update Record" action

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.51.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.51.58 PM.png
Link to base

See Solution in Thread

Etienne

Hello, thank you both for your replies, 

I finally managed to solve my issue, from a close issue with a solution I found on another topic (it might even be you @TheTimeSavingCo !)

The automation is now in two steps.

First step :
1. Triggers when a record is created in the prospect table
2. Creates the record in the other table (directory) and copies the information from the prospect table
3. Updates the category in directory, (but that was not the issue)
3. Gets the record ID of the created record in the directory table and gets it to the prospect table in a "Annuaire ID" field (Annuaire is Directory in french)

Then, a second automation :
1. Triggers when the field Annuaire ID is not empty in the prospect table
2. Finds the matching record in the directory table
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 15.07.15.png
3. Updates the record that was found in the prospect table
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 15.08.30.png

I don't know if there's an easier way or a way to make it work in one automation, but now it works

As for the tests, I've ran them multiple times with many records, exemples, preview, tests, etc... and got the same result every time

Thank you !

PS : Do you think I could clarify the title so this thread could help somebody else ?

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Weird, that looks like it's set up fine.  May I know if you've tried re-testing all the previous steps?

You could also try creating the link when you're creating the record itself instead of via an "Update Record" action

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.51.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.51.58 PM.png
Link to base

Sho
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

How about trying to run all TEST steps as "Run as configured" as possible?

Etienne

Hello, thank you both for your replies, 

I finally managed to solve my issue, from a close issue with a solution I found on another topic (it might even be you @TheTimeSavingCo !)

The automation is now in two steps.

First step :
1. Triggers when a record is created in the prospect table
2. Creates the record in the other table (directory) and copies the information from the prospect table
3. Updates the category in directory, (but that was not the issue)
3. Gets the record ID of the created record in the directory table and gets it to the prospect table in a "Annuaire ID" field (Annuaire is Directory in french)

Then, a second automation :
1. Triggers when the field Annuaire ID is not empty in the prospect table
2. Finds the matching record in the directory table
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 15.07.15.png
3. Updates the record that was found in the prospect table
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 15.08.30.png

I don't know if there's an easier way or a way to make it work in one automation, but now it works

As for the tests, I've ran them multiple times with many records, exemples, preview, tests, etc... and got the same result every time

Thank you !

PS : Do you think I could clarify the title so this thread could help somebody else ?

I just understood what you were trying to show me, and that's the perfect answer, thank you !