604 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
salvadaor
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey gangs - curious if anyone has come across this situation and found a solution. I'm working with a table that will contain all of the contacts for a business. These contacts have relationships to each other. We want to keep track of the people and who their clients are AND do the reverse - keep track of who represents the clients, which we've created two separate linked fields within the table (Clients field & Representatives field). 

What I want to do is set up an automation that automatically updates these linked fields when one is updated for the related records. Here is an example:

Sally is a individual and Chuck represents her. When I add Chuck to the Representatives field for Sally's record, I want the automation to add Sally to the Clients field for Chuck's record so they stay up to date. I want to eliminate the need to update both records when a change needs to be made.

Would love any help!

Custom builds for your needs. Reach out if you want to talk!
2 Replies 2
Ella
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @salvadaor ,

I have tried to do this ( I believe from your description, that I had a very similar situation except for materials and storage locations) and it is not easy (the automation). 

For my use case, I created a third table which links to both and keeps tracks of specific quantities of materials in each location.

Depending on your use case, the following video may be helpful. However, I use the third table to update, through linked records, the Materials and Storage Location tables, or in your case the Clients and the Representatives. Then you only have to update 1 table.

Ella_0-1696612181584.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWm5dO1awU

If you find another, I would be very interested to know what type of automation you used, but unfortunately I got stuck so I had to do this work around.

salvadaor
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

HI @Ella - unfortunately I don't think this is the solve I needed as it's a slightly different use case. I think my trouble is that I have both clients and representatives in the same table (because they're fields for contacts) whereas your materials and locations are in separate tables. I'm going to keep working on it to see if I can find a workaround because I know there must be a way

Custom builds for your needs. Reach out if you want to talk!