1705 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_F
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a field that can at times have existing linked records inside them. I have an automation that when a record matches conditions will input a linked record to that same field. The issue I am running in to is that it replaces the existing linked records in there. I tried doing a dynamic input on the automation to include the existing linked records then separating with a comma, but it fails when testing. Any idea how I can keep existing, but add a new linked record in that same field with the automation?

6 Replies 6

Welcome to the Airtable community!

Are you creating a new record, or are you linking an existing record?

If you are creating a new linked record in a different table, you should be able to create and link the record in the same “create rd order” action. You put the id of the triggering record in the backlink field when creating the record. You do not actually have to edit the triggering record itself in the automation.

On the off chance kuovonne’s solution doesn’t work, could you provide some screenshots of your automation setup and the error message?

Chris_F
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks for the replies. To explain a bit further. When a record is created this field is tagged
Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 22.03.38
I then have an automation to check another field for a specific keyword, in which if it passes should ADD another record to this field
Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 21.58.47
As you can see I am trying to keep the existing linked record in the field, plus the new one I want to add which is written out.
The issue I am running in to is this
Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 22.05.21
I am assuming its due to using a comma which I have seen in other instances on airtable automations allows for multiple inputs, but maybe not this one.

So any idea how I can keep the existing link plus add the extra link when the record matches conditions?

Hmm, I would expect your automation to be set up more like this actually:

Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 2.21.13 PM

Here’s a base I put together for you to compare your automation against

Automation to add linked record when linked records already exist in that field

Chris_F
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Im not looking to create a new record rather add a link to an existing record. I attempted using the find function and getting list plus adding the additional link, but it replaced the whole field instead of appending

Normally when you are adding to a linked record field you can enter the new value, a comma, and the existing value. (Notice that the new value goes first.)

However, I think the problem that you have is related to the fact that you want to keep a value that you added in a previous automation step, that did not exist when the automation was triggered.

Try adding both new values in the same update action. This may require some restructuring of your automation steps and conditions.