959 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amundsen_shack
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I'm trying to create an automation to update a record. I want to change the status of all tasks associated with a sprint to have an "archived" when that sprint is "done".

The trigger is based a table called "Sprints Lists" with a condition of "Status: Done".

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 20.07.54.png

And as an Action I want to edit the "Status" field from a different table called "Tasks Lists" so that the new value of Status is "Archived".

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 20.08.09.png

I've tested the trigger successfully. However, when I click on the "+" button to select the corresponding Record ID from the "Tasks Lists" table, it only shows the fields from the "Sprint Lists" table used in the trigger.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 20.08.17.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hey @amundsen_shack

To do this, you'll first need to add a Find records action that will search your task records for all records that are linked to your sprint.

Once you have the list of records, you'll want to insert a repeating action group to update each task record found in the list of records.

Happy to provide additional information or details if you're feeling lost.

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hey @amundsen_shack

To do this, you'll first need to add a Find records action that will search your task records for all records that are linked to your sprint.

Once you have the list of records, you'll want to insert a repeating action group to update each task record found in the list of records.

Happy to provide additional information or details if you're feeling lost.

Amazing!! This is super useful!

The test was run successfully and I turned the Automation on.

However, in the end, it's only changing the status of 1 task, instead of all the tasks associated with the sprint.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 20.51.21.png

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 20.54.53.png

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 20.56.02.png

When testing repeating groups within Airtable's automations, running a test intentionally only iterates through a single record instead of the entire list.

If you confirm that your Find records action returned a list of more than one record and testing the automation within the automation configuration display only updated a single record, then this is by design.

If you want to test its behavior against an actual full list of records, you can do this by turning on the automation and triggering the automation from the sprint record manually.

I'm not exactly sure where I saw in the documentation that indicates that it will only test the action group against a single item from the list, but the behavior is consistent since it prevents users from accidentally testing the automation and accidentally executing an unintended operation, modification, or creation of records that weren't aligned with what the user actually intended.

Wow! That did it! Thank you so much for your help!! ❤️