cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fredsack
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey there,

I have a linked records field with 4 lookup fields that look up content from another table. 
I created an automation to automatically put in the Teacher tame into the linked field so that it finds the matching record and populates the fields. 
I then get the error: Field "Teacher" cannot accept the provided value: Cannot modify a computed field. 

I'm not modifying the teacher field through the automation but a field called PARTNERS Lookup, which in turn should automatically populate the "Teacher" field (and a few others). I'm not sure why this isn't working. Any help would be appreciated! 

Fredsack_0-1721938029542.png

5 Replies 5

Hmm, the field "PARTNERS Lookup" is a linked field to another table.  Is the primary field in that other table a calculated field of some sort, for example, an autonumber field or a formula field?  That could cause this error to occur if the value you're pasting in doesn't already exist in that other table

As a quick test of this, try changing the primary field of the other table and re-testing the automation to see if it works!

Hey Adam,
Thanks so much for the answer.
Yes the field is linked to records whose primary fields are filled via a formula.
I tested the automation by switching to a not calculated primary field and it works.
I'll have to check with the team if that is a feasible solution.
What I don't understand is: The lookup field is not supposed to change the value of that primary field it's supposed to use the input from one field to lookup a record, so why does it matter what's the primary field?  Is there a good reason for this? Is there a workaround? 

Best,
Fred

re: What I don't understand is: The lookup field is not supposed to change the value of that primary field it's supposed to use the input from one field to lookup a record, so why does it matter what's the primary field? Is there a good reason for this? Is there a workaround?

Hmm, I assume you're talking about a linked field, not a lookup field here.  When we paste values into a linked field, Airtable looks for a record in the linked table where the primary field's value matches the pasted in value.  If it finds one, they'll be linked together, thus powering your lookup fields

If it can't find one it'll create one and then link it together, and when the primary field is computed it's unable to create a new record and will give us that error we see, does that make sense?

Hey Adam, 

Yes, sorry, I meant a linked field (still new to these terms...) 
I guess that makes some sense, even though I don't want the linked field to create a new record (didn't know it could do that). Is it possible to deactivate that and then have a computed field as the primary field? (I assume not). 
In any case, thanks a lot for your help! 

Fred

Best,
Fred

re: Is it possible to deactivate that and then have a computed field as the primary field? 

Kinda!  In your automation, try creating a "Find Record" step that'll look for a record in your linked table for a primary field value that matches the value you want to paste in.  Then add a conditional where, if length of records found = 1, link it together, and if it can't find anything do nothing (or send you an email maybe?)