1945 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnjustice
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a table with a view for monthly credits that are active and I am looking at getting an automation that creates the corresponding list of records in the next (usage) table each as their own records.

Better explained, the benefits list table has records of benefit1, benefit2, benefit3 that meet my criteria (active/monthly determined by the view). I want the automation to create new records for those benefits: benefit1, benefit2, benefit3 as their own records so that I can track the usage in the second table. When I run the automation it’s creating a single record with the values from the entire column in one cell but I want them in their own row.

Can someone clarify if I am missing a setting?

2 Replies 2

Unfortunately you’re not missing anything, creating multiple records via automations requires some pretty tedious workarounds.

(We can also do this via a script, so let me know if you want to do that)

I’ve put something together here for you that should do what you’re looking for via automations alone

To view the setup (formulas, automations etc), you can duplicate the base by clicking the title of the base at the top of the screen, then the three horizontal dots on the right, and then the “Duplicate Base” button.

via Find Records in View

It works by:

1. Executing a Find Record action based on the view we’re asking it to search by via the View to Create Records From field when the checkbox is marked. (Both the checkbox and View to Create Records From field are purely for demo purposes; in practice I’m sure you already have some sort of logic to determine when and which view to grab records from)
  2. Pasting a list of the names of the found records into the Found record names field
  3. The Text to Paste field then converts that into a unique comma separated list by combining the Name field with each of the selected multiple select options. The values here MUST be unique, so adding the date or, even better, the record ID itself would make this more resilient
  4. Another automation then pastes this unique comma separated list into the linked field, forcing the creation of multiple records

If you don’t want to deal with setting this up yourself, you can also hire me to do it for you!

jnjustice
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

hi @Adam_TheTimeSavingCo the script probably would work. is that somewhere here on the forum?