Help

Upcoming database upgrades. to improve our reliability at 03:30 UTC on Feb. 25 / 7:30pm PT on Feb. 24. Some users may briefly experience slow load times or error messages. Learn more here

Creation and update of records in different tables with automation

Topic Labels: Automations
183 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi there,

I’m still a bit of a newbie on Airtable and I’ve searched quite a bit how to solve my problem but for now I can’t find it.

I have created a database with different tables that have different functions:
1 - a table with events and their characteristics
2 - a table with spots related to these events. Which allows me to optimize the kanban view
3 - a contacts table
4 - a specific board where I would like to use the timeline function to bring out events from boards 1 & 2.

My concern: I would really like to automate table 4 to avoid double entries. So I used an automation to create records in table 4 as soon as a record is created in table 1 or 2. So far so good.
Now I would also like to automate the updating of records in table 4 when a record is modified in table 1 or 2. And therein lies the drama. I have looked at some topics, but I can’t configure the ID records in the automation. There is always an error detected during the test phase.

Could you help me? Here is a copy of the base

Thanks a lot.

3 Replies 3

Hi Benjamin, I think we just need to use linked records for this instead actually.

So if I were you, I would:

1. Have an automation that triggers whenever a new record is created in Table 1 or Table 2
    • Its action will be to create a new record in Table 4, and to link the two records together
  2. In Table 4, add lookup fields for the values that we want, e.g. Descriptif, etc
    • Assuming I have a Descriptif field in both Table 1 and Table 2, I would then create another formula field to compile the two fields

Thank you very much @Adam_C for your precious help. This is where I’m stuck, I still have trouble understanding how linked records works.

I have created the automation so that the record is created in table 4 when I enter in table 2 (for the example). You can test from table 2 if you want. But I can’t figure out how to make the linked record in table 4 without having to manually select the record in linked table 2.

Hi Benjamin, yeap I see what you mean. I’ve put something together for you in your base which I think should clarify things