1170 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anna_Gol
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m using airtable to track candidates interviewing for jobs.
When a candidate is ‘pending’ they are in one column.
When they move to the ‘interview’ stage, I want to move them to a new column. Initially, I hoped to simply ‘drag and drop’ the record to a new field. Can’t figure out how to do it.

So then I thought I’d make an automation to trigger this.

I want to automate the following:

“Alex Smith” is under the column “Pending”. He’s now been invited to an interview, so I type his name under the column “Interviewing”.
When I type his name under “Interviewing”, I want this to trigger a delete of his name from the previous “pending” column.

Is this possible? If so, HOW? Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @Anna_Gol!

It sounds like you’re talking about the Kanban View?

Each column is based on a selected value in a single-select field, so all you have to do is change the value of the single-select field. You’re not actually creating new records, you’re just changing the value of the single-select field in an already-existing record.

It might be easier to understand this concept by looking at your records in a grid view instead of a kanban view — it’s just the same record, but it is changing values in that single-select field.

So yes, you can simply drag-and-drop the person’s record to a new column, and the value of that single-select field will automatically change.

Otherwise, if you want to setup an automation to do this, you’d want to set up your automation to simply change the value of that single-select field. That’s what would get the record to change columns. But you don’t want to trigger your automation based on typing in a name… you would probably want to trigger your automation by checking a checkbox.

p.s. You might also enjoy my beginning-level Airtable training course, which covers kanban views: