1176 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chadd_Dumagas
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Has there been a feature wherein you can filter records that are related to me?

Example,

1. I have a field called Created by
  2. Now I want to share a view that is created by Me alone
  3. I don’t want to create 400+ views just to provide everyone their own
  4. I only want 1 view that I can share to everyone but it only filters the record they have created
  5. Providing access to the base and telling everyone to create their own personal view is NOT the one I need
  6. I cannot share the record of Person-A with Person-B

any chance to do this?

10 Replies 10
Arthur_Lanter

Hi Chadd,

I don’t think it is doable so far.
I had a guess at the API creating your views in a detached synchronised base. But it seems the API can’t create views… Too bad.

The only ways I am seing right now for you are :

• Creating a softr app (or something like that) so that they can only access the data with their account. You can then filter the data within softr. It is the cleaner, but longer and more expensive approach.

• Manually creating the 400 views they need… sorry… Each of them could do that in a detached synced base if you give them access to this base only, before removing their access, then adding syncing the data. It doesn’t seem to be what you need.

• Creating a shared view and sending them a prefilled link to the view with a filter. That a MAJOR security breach and probably not what you want, as they would only have to change the filter parameters to access the data. But maybe you can do some extract of the data using a script ?

• Manually creating the views prioritizing their need of that view and doing that painful job time to time before Airtable creates such a feature…

Good luck with that, let me know what you did.
Hope there is another solution !

Arthur

Created via a form where they select/input their name?

@Chadd_Dumagas This is possible by using Airtable”s Interfaces, or by using a portal tool like MiniExtensions.com.

I’ll look into the interface feature

Arthur_Lanter

Indeed, the interface will do the trick, much better than the above!

This will be the challenge, because, if I recall correctly, if you want to share an interface, you have to give access to your underlying base, no?

Given the requirements you stated, you cannot currently use interface designer. Interface designer requires that everyone have at least view access to the entire base.

It also isn’t clear how you identify “records they have created”. Airtable has a “created by” field that shows the collaborator that created the field. However it sounds like your 400+ people are not collaborators on your base, and thus you need something other than a “created by” field to identify who created each record. This is probably a linked record to a users table.

I recommend using a portal (Softr, MiniExtensions, Stacker, Pory, etc.) and giving everyone their own login.

this insight is greatly appreciated as well as the screenshot!

although the interface is created from the base
for them to view the interface you have to provide view access to the base itself.

so all in all they would still be able to access the other records, right? sad.

yeah sadly, you still have to give access to the base. so they can see the interface. we’ve tested this in some of our interfaces.

AnaG
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another workaround its to use an application that integrates with airtable and that will allow you to share the view without the need to share the base, and set to show only those records that are related to the log in user, so this user will be able to see only their records. You can do that with the Portal of miniextneions

If you want users to view certain records, you can utilize the option to pre-fill the URL. This will allow you to automatically apply the desired filter directly to the portal's URL, so users will see only the preselected records when they open the portal.