506 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Linda_Bonder
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I'm generating Google docs using the automation. In the text of the doc, I'm inserting data from a "link" field. The link field text is getting inserted, but just as text, not as a live link. Any tips on how to make them insert as live links?

See the attached pic - the red circled "link" appears as text, not a live link. Below it, the help email address appears as a live link because it's in the text of the email, whereas the Zoom link is coming from a database field. (We have 40 classes, they each have their own Zoom link.) Thank you!

5 Replies 5
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

As far as I know, Airtable's Google Docs action doesn't support hyperlinks in the document that you create.

However, Make's Google Docs automations & integrations does support hyperlinking in the document that you create.

You just need to put in HTML code in the body of the document, and it will display as a live link in the document.

Take a look at the screenshot below for an example of how this might look in Make.

You'll need to have a few skills to make this happen:

#1. You'll need to know some HTML. You can use a website like text-html.com to convert text to HTML.

#2. You'll need to know how to instantly trigger an automation in Make. See this post.

#3. You'll need to learn how to use Make. I’ve assembled a bunch of Make training resources in this thread.

p.s. If your company has a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 10.39.29 PM.png

Thanks - do you know if this works when the link is coming from an AT field? So in your attached example, could I integrate an AT field where it says, "1. URL"  within the href, and have that link be live in the resulting G-doc? ? I can program the HTML - I just need to be able to put an AT field within it.

Thanks!

Right, exactly. That's where it's coming from.

Terrific, thank you, I'll try it this week. It looks like "Make" is fairly straightforward, but will let you know if I need help. I think we'll be able to afford the "core" subscription.

Hi Scott, finally got time to work on this.

Within Make, should I be able to do this with "Create a document from a template" rather than using the HTML? I need to create the documents in 6 languages, and my HTML is rusty, so templates would be a lot easier. I have tried with the template, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sWSiJM6BCwhU2fuDLhw-PBH4JzDnbOdwBwNjPeN7Zbk/edit?usp=sharing.

It's creating the document but not picking up any of the tags: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j80VmvONyi4vOsSFuXeRV31J7pJ7Y64LEKTGaEP22Z8/edit?usp=sharing

In the creation process, I am getting the attached error message. The fields in AT are a mixture of drop-downs, look-ups, formulae, and text fields. The error keeps pointing to #7 and 8 (start counting with 0, correct?), but those AT field types are not different than others.

Would much appreciate any help with this.

- Linda