892 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bank_Hoontrakul
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am having difficulties with update action of automation. it keep failing the test and I do not understand why.

Screenshot 2564-03-28 at 23.18.49

9 Replies 9

Welcome to the community, @Bank_Hoontrakul!

The Record ID that you’re updating needs to be an Airtable Record ID, not a Google Calendar Event ID.

You can reveal the Record IDs for your records by creating a formula field with this formula: RECORD_ID()

However, if you’re trying to update an Airtable event based on a change in Google Calendar, you would need to store the Google Calendar Event ID in another Airtable field, and then perform a find for that Event ID in Airtable.

Then, you can update the record AFTER finding the proper record, which would yield you the Airtable Record ID.

(Note that finding & updating records will only work properly if Airtable finds ONE matching record… Airtable’s automations are extremely limited, so it doesn’t have the ability to properly handle finding/updating multiple matching records.)

Bank_Hoontrakul

What I am trying to do is the find the update from Google calendar and change in the field in airtable.

With this new function, it said we could do with Google calendar updating.

a) i dont know how to link from event Id into making Airtable id
b) I dont know how to choose airtable id, as the new function in airtable, only allow me to choose from google calendar not airtable record
c) The statement below, is understandable, but it contradict with the a) where i cant choose the action trigger from Airtable but could only choose from google calendar

(Note that finding & updating records will only work properly if Airtable finds ONE matching record… Airtable’s automations are extremely limited, so it doesn’t have the ability to properly handle finding/updating multiple matching records.)

Screenshot 2564-03-29 at 09.48.16 Screenshot 2564-03-29 at 09.47.36

Like I said above, you will need to store the Google Calendar Event ID in a different Airtable field.

Which means that you will need to figure out some way to get the Google Calendar Event ID into Airtable. The only way that Airtable would allow you to natively do this with its native automation capabilities is by creating a brand new automation that triggers “when a new Google Calendar Event is Created”. Then you would create a new Airtable record with the Google Calendar Event ID in its own Event ID field.

After you have the Google Calendar Event ID in its own field, then you will be able to go back to your original automation with these 3 automation steps:

1. Automation triggers when a Google Calendar Event is updated.
  2. Find the matching Google Calendar Event ID in your new Google Calendar Event ID field in Airtable.
  3. Update the Airtable record using the Airtable Record ID that was found in step #2.

For anything more advanced than this, you would either need to write your own custom Javascript to handle the automation, or you can use a low-code/no-code automation platform like Integromat.

(Note that I am a professional Airtable consultant and a Registered Integromat Partner, and the Integromat link contains my personal referral code.)

Bank_Hoontrakul

Many thanks Scott, seems like integromat is the easiest way haha.

Cheers,
Bank

Haha, yes, Integromat is often the easiest way! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

However, Airtable just introduced one-way Google Calendar syncing today! You can now do a one-way sync of your calendar events from Google Calendar to Airtable, although you can’t edit the events in Airtable… you can only edit the events in Google Calendar.

Thats was what I was referring to.

ITs quite unique actually. But now I am quite interested in integromat.
Looks quite interesting!

When you say you are partner with integromat… what does it really mean? or what benefits do you have?

What it means is that I am an expert consultant at the Integromat platform, so I am listed on their website here as a partner.

Some of the main benefits that I receive are priority tech support, a private discussion community with the Integromat team & other partners, and the ability to respond to new customer inquiries.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant & Registered Integromat Partner to help you, please feel free to contact me through my website at ScottWorld.com.